NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Over past few years I have developed a passion for fishing, so I am still on a learning curve when it comes to equipment, kind of lures to use (I know weather, water temp. and time of year all play an important part), I'm having a great time reading and experimenting. I am now looking into a boat purchase, I've been to boat shows and there seems to be 5 or 6 makes that all seem pretty similar and it's difficult to know if one is better than another. I'm looking for an aluminum boat ( 17' range) that has pretty wide floor space and will carry a couple of big guys. I also want to stay 50hp or less. I live in the Triad area of N.C> and fish mostly rivers and fresh water lakes. Appreciate anyones input. Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
852 Posts
You might want to take a look at the Triton aluminum boats, similar to the Trackers but no wood and probably a better reputation. Other than jon boats, there don't seem to be too many choices in central NC other than Tracker, Triton, and some G3 and Weldcraft. If a jon is more what you want, I guess AK McCallum in Fayetteville has a good reputation for selection and pricing. Don't expect to be going much faster than 30 mph with any of the 17' boats with a 50 hp, and some will be slower.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might want to take a look at the Triton aluminum boats, similar to the Trackers but no wood and probably a better reputation. Other than jon boats, there don't seem to be too many choices in central NC other than Tracker, Triton, and some G3 and Weldcraft. If a jon is more what you want, I guess AK McCallum in Fayetteville has a good reputation for selection and pricing. Don't expect to be going much faster than 30 mph with any of the 17' boats with a 50 hp, and some will be slower.
Thanks for your reply, those were the makes I am considering, I appreciate your response. Ken

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can only relate my own personal experience. A few years ago while living on the Chesapeake Bay I wanted a second boat for crabbing and fishing in the creeks and rivers. I saw the G3 and immediately liked it. G3 is owned by Yamaha and for my money they build a good solid boat. I liked the fact that the model that I bought had a stern seat and a long bow platform for mounting an electric motor (both with floatation) . You can buy a basic jon boat that looks the way I described it and if you are handy you can add lights, carpeting, seats and other stuff as you please without breaking your budget. Most small trailers will carry it and because it is so light a small outboard will make it fly. I put a 25 Mercury on mine (mainly because I already had the motor). Check out their website (G3 Boats - Aluminum Fishing and Pontoon Boats) and go to the "showroom" page. Then look under "jon boats". I think I had the 1548LW which was just under 15'. Anyway, when I decided to move to NC I sold it along with my 21' Sea Chaser CC and bought a Ranger Salt Water boat. I would definitely buy another one. Hope this helps.

Jim

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can only relate my own personal experience. A few years ago while living on the Chesapeake Bay I wanted a second boat for crabbing and fishing in the creeks and rivers. I saw the G3 and immediately liked it. G3 is owned by Yamaha and for my money they build a good solid boat. I liked the fact that the model that I bought had a stern seat and a long bow platform for mounting an electric motor (both with floatation) . You can buy a basic jon boat that looks the way I described it and if you are handy you can add lights, carpeting, seats and other stuff as you please without breaking your budget. Most small trailers will carry it and because it is so light a small outboard will make it fly. I put a 25 Mercury on mine (mainly because I already had the motor). Check out their website (G3 Boats - Aluminum Fishing and Pontoon Boats) and go to the "showroom" page. Then look under "jon boats". I think I had the 1548LW which was just under 15'. Anyway, when I decided to move to NC I sold it along with my 21' Sea Chaser CC and bought a Ranger Salt Water boat. I would definitely buy another one. Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.