NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Backlash,

Sorry I can't help you with either of those locations but I can reccomend a good sound side area. Between Topsail and Wrightsville there are some uninhabited islands where the boat traffic is lighter and the scenery is a little more pristine. The fishing should be good right now, but it will slow down some as summer progresses. It's been a few years since I've been there but used to be a place just past the last canal on the south end of Topsail sound side that you could park and launch from. It's just a short paddle from there to the inlet. From there south you start to leave some of the boat traffic behind. We used to fish and snorkle back behind that and the next island in relative peace. Or you can beach your kayak and walk over to the beach. I never took a kayak out thru the inlets there but it could be done. But it could get to dangerous in a hurry. Carry plenty of water!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Sinkerman. I just finished reading an article in North Carolina Sportsman about fishing for flounder around Carolina Beach. I think I'm going to try launching in that area or Fort Fisher. I'm concerned about currents and getting into trouble. I was hoping that this forum would take off a little better. I haven't been able to collect any information for NC Kayak fisherman anywhere on the web.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I hope you guys will hang in while this site develops. It takes some time for folks to find a site, build up enough interest or courage to make a post and to see the benefit in being involved. Your participation will make that happen. I'm working on some ideas to attract more attention and information. Please be patient with me as this is a hobby not an income generating business. My goal is to have the definitive website for information on fishing in North Carolina. It will happen...just takes some time. We're now six months old and growing daily. :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
backlash--- My suggestion is to always seek local advice when kayaking and boating in or around an unfamilar inlet. Every inlet has its own pecularities pertaining to wind directions and speeds in addition to tides to contend with. One rule I follow is to stay out of inlets in my kayak during falling tides, thats when you're most apt to get sucked out to sea. Area bait and tackle shops are a good source of information and can probably give just the advice you need. Good luck !

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I agree with Fojoloy . Inlets can look pretty pretty safe and easy when you approach them but they are very dynamic and complex. You never see the same inlet twice. They are constantly changing. Not only do you have to take into account the tide but wind direction and inlet depth and eddies. The amount of rain that fell 150 miles inland a week earlier is even going to figure into the dynamics of an inlet. Large incoming swells meeting a strong outgoing tide will stand tall and steep while 3 hrs later on a slack tide or flood tide it may flatten right out. The people who run an inlet every day for years can develop an an understanding of what effect the tide and weather will have on an inlet in advance and that is the important part. You don't want to go out if you are going to have trouble coming back thru. I think launching thru the surf is a little easier to judge but either way there is a learning process and it is easier if you can partner up with an expierenced yakker. Remember flounder is best if fresh so leave me a doormat or two. best of luck! There should be plenty around the dock pilings right now .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.