NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally got a break in the marine weather forecast so I decided to try and find some bonito. I left the dock 30 minutes before sunrise and headed for a spot off Topsail Beach. I decided to troll two Yozuri deep divers at about a 9mph clip and watch the screen for bait and fish.

I tried the first spot for about 30 minutes with no luck. I moved out and north a few miles to another spot and deployed the deep divers again.

Wham! within 5 minutes I had a double hook up. Being alone I decided to set the hook on both and leave one in the rod holder with the engine in gear at idle speed. I reeled in the first line landing a nice 4 pound Bonito! Okay now for the second line but I was half expecting the fish to be gone. To my surprise he was still on! Another 4+ pound Bonito.

I trolled that spot for another hour stopping to jig when I'd mark bait or fish on the sonar. Nothing. Tried another spot nothing. Decided to call it a morning as I had some work to do and now I had some fish for supper!

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey Mike, is that soft bait between to two Bonitos? Just kidding, looks alot like my own pillow that I carry around. Good catch and it must be nice to be so close to the water. I am going to get down there within the next few days and I'll pm you. Maybe we can meet and fish together. I'm busy painting deck furniture and tying clouser and shrimp flies. Enjoy your meal, I know you will. They always taste so good when you make the catch yourself.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Mike, is that soft bait between to two Bonitos? Just kidding, looks alot like my own pillow that I carry around. Good catch and it must be nice to be so close to the water. I am going to get down there within the next few days and I'll pm you. Maybe we can meet and fish together. I'm busy painting deck furniture and tying clouser and shrimp flies. Enjoy your meal, I know you will. They always taste so good when you make the catch yourself.
Yeah - that "pillow" is from all that fish I catch and eat ;). I told my wife next time - TELL me to tuck in my shirt...lol.

Definitely give me a shout when you get ready to come down, I'd love to fish with you.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wasnt gonna say a word! Glad someone else did though...
yeah, might want to do a shirt tuck check... :eek:

hey on the crystal minnow is that a pink top silver side? Those are nice, might have to add a couple to the box. I got the blue tops silver side and the black backs. Hmmm.. guess it's time to exercise the monkey... :eek:
Yeah - pink top, silver sides. Same for the purple. The other one I have good luck with is the clown colored one.

I love 'em - have them in all three sizes. Just make sure they are the DD model (big plastic lip). They make a floating Crystal minnow too - same body shape but never tried those.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, they don't come into the surf. I've heard of folks up north catching them near jetties but never seen or heard of them at our jetties either (Masonboro and Cape Lookout). They like bottom structure like reefs, wrecks and so forth.

Should be able to catch some blues. Or if you want to bottom fish the mullet are in the surf.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.