NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sitting here kicking my tail. I loaded the boat up last night with intentions of heading out first thing this morning (as in launch 45 min before sunrise). I woke up at 5:15 - went outside - 33 degrees - talked myself out of going. I said "self, the Bonito bite has started but been real, real slow. It was cold last night. Them fish ain't gonna be having an early breakfast this morning". I promtly went back inside and forgot about fishing.

BAD, Bad move. The guys who went this morning TORE them up. One boat caught over 30 bonito. Several others did well too.

I'm checking weather reports again....looks like the seas might be decent on Friday.

Go get 'em guys. The bonito have arrived!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
It's nowhere near over yet. I hate you missed such a good day but I believe that old saying NO PAIN ...NO GAIN applies to this morning's fishing. You'll get into a good bunch of them yet... Hopefully on a warmer morning. AL

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Al - Oh it wasn't the pain that kept me in port. It was the fact I put too much thought into it trying to out think the fish. I should have just gone fishing instead of thinking.......lol.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Sometimes ya just gotta go......

I know I felt that way hunting... 20 degrees out, 5:30 a.m. to be in a tree stand (climbing tree stand that is).. and to debate whether or not that wiley ol' buck will come out.... Them blankets are warm, heat in the house just right... motivation to spend another un-eventfull day in a stand seein nothing in the back of the mind....

Best buck of my season is when I said screw it and went,, to the same ol' area... tree climber in tow... climb the tree before sun up... "bang" 8:30 a.m. 8 point gameland buck (my personal best ever) on the ground via a .270 WSM neck shot.... right place at the right time, could've easily talked myself out of it.

Sometimes ya just gotta go

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went out this morning looking for Bonito - left out of Rich inlet at 6:10 (30 minutes before sunrise). Headed to the AR off Figure Eight Island - worked that for about a half hour. Few birds but none diving. No Bonito either.

Talk to some buddies on the radio that were fishing south of me at th eLiberty ship. Same report from there. So decided to head over to Dallas Rocks. Fished there for an hour or so. No luck except a couple of blues. Seas started getting sloppy so I headed to the liberty ship. There was half a dozen boats there - no bonito. :(

They were catching them earlier in the week up near New River, should be here any day. Water temps on surface was still about 60 - needs to be 62 or better.... getting close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.