NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing the Boone, Blowing Rock Delayed Harvest areas with clients the last week, it has been good. Some areas are unfortunately getting poached out but there are still some nice fish to be caught and released.
Our flies of choice have bee terrestrials and Pheasant Tails for the majority of our catches. My clients have caught some nice brookies in the 10 to 14 inch range, browns of 14 and 15 inches, and a nice rainbow yesterday afternoon at 16 inches. There have been many fish in the 6 to 10 inch range as well. Some days you catch a bunch and then somdays it is just one or two. Thats fishing.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Randy, I guide the Nantahala and we have had the same problem with poachers for years. N.C.W.R.C is a joke when it comes to protecting our trout streams. We have called and reported poachers several times in the last few weeks and believe it or not, they told us hunting season was open and they could'nt get any officers into the area to watch the stream!!!

The few fish that were stocked in the D.H section this year have been poached out just like the wild trout streams in the SMNP. The county I live in has 52 trout streams,4 large lakes and thousands of acres of game lands. NCWRC thinks 2 officers can cover all this and enforce the law with very, very small fines. I have guided for 15 years and never been approached by officers while guiding!!!

Western states that bring in millions of dollars due to their trout fishing industries have fines that average from $1000 to $2000 fines for poaching and they revoke their hunting and fishing lic for years. In N.C I think the fine is $150 and they keep their lic so they can poach again the following day.....wow !!!

This year N.C.W.R.C lowered the rates for non-res license 300% while most states in the south doubled theirs. Last year a 3 day non-res lic cost $25. This year the offered a 10 day non-res for $10........no wonder the idiots cant afford to put enough officers in the field to protect our resources.

I just worked out a deal with the Snowbird Cherokee Indians to give fly fishing instructions for free to the tribe in exchange for being able to guide on tribal waters on the Snowbird Rez. I'll be the only non-native allowed to fish their waters and my clients won't have to waste their money on N.C license.

I'm also planning on getting Tennessee lic in feb and I don't plan on guiding on N.C waters next year.....PTL !!!!!
Regulations in TN are much better than N.C and if you fish there you can REELY
tell a difference in the fishing.

As guides we need to take a stand for our God given resources and demand new people in Raleigh and get rid of the bubba's that are making our regulations!!

SAVE THE TROUT........SHOOT THE POACHERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.