NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out early this morning lured by the report of calm seas and sunshine. Weather man missed the calm seas part - instead of 2-3' seas with 10 second intervals I found 3-4' seas with 3-4 second intervals and chop on top. Seas are fine but those intervals make a big difference when anchored on a ledge bottom fishing.

I decided to give it a go anyway. I had a 5 stop game plan which I cut to one spot. I caught a bunch of nice black sea bass, kept 4 of the nicest - all between 14-17 inches. I did catch 2 undersize gag groupers but no keepers. And surprisingly enough - not a single white grunt today.

As I came back through the channel behind the inlet, the Marine Fisheries officers stopped me and did a safey equipment and fish box inspection. As the officer checked my cooler he exclaimed how those where some fine looking bass and he didn't even need to measure them as he held one up for his partner to see :D. First time I've been checked this year - I was glad to see them out there!

Came back inside after lunch and met up with a friend who was flounder fishing. He claimed had caught nothing but undersized flatties all morning. I rafted up next to his boat and promtly watched him pull in a pair of 16" flounder and he lost a third at the boat. Me - no flounder :( today.

Sunrise picture is from last week on a very calm day, bass is from today.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave - nope - wasn't nice enough to make the 32 mile journey to "the area", but I will get there sooner or later - I really appreciate the info. I went about 14 miles out and fished in 70' of water. Water temps on the surface were 66 degrees.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was pretty crisp the last couple of mornings but still warming up later in the morning. I just dress warm for the ride out then peel off layers once out there and the sun is beating down.

A friend of mine was headed out to Cripple Rock this morning, should know how he did soon and the conditions out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.