NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was catfishing in the south river last weekend and had a couple good hits. The problem was everytime I'd get a hit and start to set the hook or reel it in my sinkers at the bottom of the river would be/get snagged and I'd not be able to do anything with it. When the sinkers broke off so did the fish. (I was using a basic setup of a sinker below my hook) Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. This has happened more times then not when I've been doing this type of fishing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just off the top of my head you could try and tie a swivel below the hook and use a lighter line to tie on the sinker. May lose the sinker but hopefully not the fish. Off the top of my head. Aren't there supposed to be sinkers with long rods on the bottom of them to try and keep it off the bottom. If so, has anyone tried them?

Another note, I have started using circle hooks when I catfish now and they are working great. You don't jerk to set the hook just raise the tip of the rod ( a light jerk) but your more or less setting the hook with the reel. It is debated as to whether or not the circle hooks do less harm to the fish than the J hooks.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Coach I would say the cats are wrapping themselves around the brush on the bottom before you can get them up. If you are fishing with a minnow under a bobber and a delayed hook set I think that definately. I know this summer I was minnow fishing for whatever and due to the delay in letting the fish take the bait I had several wrap themselves up and lost line and fish.

Reactions: Coach D

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had the same problem when minnow/worm fishing. I'm just trying to avoid losing as much tackle as I have been. Not to mention the fish too.:eek:

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Just off the top of my head you could try and tie a swivel below the hook and use a lighter line to tie on the sinker. May lose the sinker but hopefully not the fish. Off the top of my head. Aren't there supposed to be sinkers with long rods on the bottom of them to try and keep it off the bottom. If so, has anyone tried them?
I had the same thoughts as dlcomer - the old tear-away jersey trick! Make the sinker easily to discard if it should happen to hang up. Use a lightweight tag line for the sinker that will break long before your main line, or use a carolina keeper ahead of a sliding weight (egg, bullet, etc...) on the tag end. When you pull against a hung sinker, you'll pull the line through the keeper and the sinker and be left to fight the fish. Your donating tackle to the depths though.

I like the circle hook idea too. Let the cat do his own hook setting, and only worry about the ones that are big enough to pull the sinker free from the bottom!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
If you're into splitshot, and if you've got a case where you don't need a real powerful cast, you can crimp the splitshot around a dropper with no knot or anything on the end... The dropper line will slide through the splitshot if it gets hung.

·
Registered
715 Posts
That light line connected to the sinker is a good idea off the coastal piers where you get caught on ther botton on oyster shells and the bottom. I'll try to remember that as last time I fished at Ocennanna pier I lost 3 rigs on the rough bottom. Now if we can figure a way to pull the hook free. Lefty's split shot trick is a good idea also.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I use the wire hooks in bad areas and a sacrificial tie to the sinker. Wire hooks will bend if they are hung by the tip pretty easy but once they bury into fishflesh they hold well. I like 6-8lb test for holding the sinker since it can break easily enough but will pull a little in case the weight will come loose in grass etc.. I use mostly 12-20lb on my general fishing stuff so it holds well for bending hooks/breaking weights..

·
Registered
208 Posts
OWNER HOOKS ARE THE WAY TO GO! they are super sharp and stay that way for a while! It is easy to set the hook. Lets hear it for the TARHEELZ against the pack this weekend! Go TARHEEEEEEELZ!:)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've used the wire hooks for crappie and such. The name brand is Mr. Crappie hooks and I get them from Gander Mtn. If I using lighter line like in the 8-10 lb range then I should use 4lb test for the sinker?? I'm thinking about crappie fishing also when I say 8 lb test. Okay, so I'm using my 14lb test redline I should use some of my cheap mono line I bought when I first got back into fishing and didn't think about line twist.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I just go 2-4 lbs lighter and dont wrap it through the eyes several times because that makes it stronger. Just one wrap and tie a basic knot. I use the Eagle Claw gold or black wire hooks for crappie #6 and a 2/0-3/0 Gold for Cats if I'm fishing in alot of structure.

Reactions: Coach D

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
hey Coach, good info above, but try this... get a pack of Tru-turn 2/0 or 3/0 J-hooks. Try a different hook,, and from limited experience with bottom dwellers... the Tru-turns work very well.... (foot stomp) ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Has anyone tried these?

Bullet Weights® Bottom Bouncer Sinkers

Bottom Bouncer Sinkers feature a lead-weighted, L-shaped wire that glides over jagged rocks, stumps, moss, and weed cover without snagging or hanging up. An excellent system for trolling, Bottom Bouncers help keep your bait off bottom structures and up where fish can get to it. 6 pack.

Place Order Below

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Hmmmm........interesting

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I use a standard carolina rig with a 5/0 circle hook. Cast out and don't worry about the little dinks, you will definately know when a full grown cat has the bait and is headed out with it.;)

I like to use finger mullet, man they go crazy for that stinking minnow.

Another good bait is the roe from other fish that you catch. Hey its works for Salmon and trout fishing. It also works great for cats. Put the roe in a small cut piece of mesh bag, onion bag, and then put it on the hook. If a cat is there is won't last long.:eek:

Fixing to be time to catch a lot of bream now you know what to do with all that roe, save it and catfish with it.

tight lines <*)))))>{

Tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Scott I like to fry that roe with some scrambled eggs!! Yum!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.