NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi NCAnglers,

I'm going to be looking for some cats near the Robeson Creek area and need some opinions. I usually fish two rods. One under a float and one on the bottom with a slip sinker rig. Shrimp that's been left out in the sun for a day is my bait of choice. I normally have worms too. I've read about and am considering using a pin float to suspend the bait a few inches off of the bottom. Any tips and tricks and suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I target catfish I do pretty much the same thing you do.
I occasionally use a crappie float to hold my bait a wee bit off the bottom.
I haven't noticed and difference in the number of bites I get, but I have no doubt that it would help if you're fishing on a weedy bottom (which I'm usually not.)
If there's the right kind of current where you are, try eschewing the float and freelining a nightcrawler. Sometimes you can sort of control where it hangs in the water column by how much line you let out.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I need to get a bit more sophistocated with my cat rigs. I like the idea of slowly paddling an area with a mostly snagless baited hook in tow.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use both rigs...just let the fish tell ya what they want. Some days they will hit bottom rig better, some days the santee rig works better. If I find one is catching the majority of the fish, I will usually switch my other rods over. Only thing I will say is to avoid live bait on a Santee rig, b/c it will get all tangled up. But if you're just using shrimp, you should be fine. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts