NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a fly rod for the first time 4 years ago after moving to the hills. Last year I got an 8wt and spent a good chunk of the summer yaking inshore from Wrightsville to Swansboro ( not continually). Long story short I the fly rod made it out for about 3 hrs over the course of near 2 solid months. This year I ain't puttin it up until I've landed a slot red, a speck, and a striper on it. I'm spending all next week in Jacksonville and surrounding areas and I'll be headed to Plymouth for the last week in Mar. for the Striper run. I've got a good idea of where the fish are, but need some help in the tactics, and gear area concerning inshore saltwater fly fishing. So far I've got a good selection of clousers and deceivers, floating line for drum and specks, and sinking line for rockfish. Help with presentation and other fly patterns/slash colors, and all around moral support would be greatly appreciated as I don't think I can handle knowing that I'm lousy at this for one more day.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well, I will offer you tons of moral support. My first fly rod was an 8 wt which I still have today, that I purchased to chase the famous tailing redfish in the Mosquito Lagoon in the Titusville area of Florida. After many months of casting practice in the backyard....I headed off to the promised land. In search of redfish on fly.

To date, I have caught exactly ZERO reds on fly. And ZERO snook. Plenty of ladyfish, some jacks, trout, bass, panfish, and juvenile tarpon. But in 14 YEARS of throwing that whippy stick.....not ONE redfish (or snook).

So again, I will give you tons of moral support and if you lived close probably some fly's for redfish. I have tons.

I stood side by side with a close freind of mine, throwing the EXACT same fly into the same exact hole....we even switched rods twice....he caught 12, I caught ZERO. I still take that rod out on occassion......and make a few cast with it, and I cant wait to try it again.

Let me know how you do, how you do it and where you do it...and I will give it another try myself.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Grayson,

I just started on fly about two months ago and have yet to receive any formal training - and trust me, it shows. The clear waters of winter helped me locate the reds in the shallows so I was able to sneak up on them as they were coming out of a creek. I used a gray/brown shrimp on a #2 hook to flail at them and managed to hook up three of them before anybody saw me waving that long stick around. It was fun for the first time but I was using a 9wt and with a 24" Drum it wasn't much to bring him in. I've since dropped down to a 6wt but haven't gotten back down for another go. I think I'd enjoy it even more if my casting improves, mainly my backcast.

As Jimmy V once said "Never, Ever, Give Up!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I've been slinging a flyrod for about 40 years and I am still a rookie. I use it mainly for freshwater bream fishing. Little poppers and spiders will draw a lot of attention. I have caught several small bass, but like I said mostly panfish.

I have purchased some flies and will try for drum this spring for my first time. So I wish you the best of luck and I'll keep you posted on my pursuits.

tight lines <*)))))>{

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.