NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matt and I hit the HPCL today, and found decent conditions, although a bit breezier than I like. We threw spinnerbaits on trees for a couple of hours, not a sniff, so I went to my old reliable speedcraw, and began getting bit. Caught three back to back nearly on a point of "Goose Island", Matt got one there, then we proceeded north under the bridge. Some great lay downs up there, so we decided to give spinnerbaits another shot, again, nothing.
After about thirty minutes, we started fishing points with the craws, he with a Texas rig, me with the c rig, and immediately started catching fish again. No big ones though, biggest may have been three pounds, and we got ten bass in all, five may have kept. Went down to a nice stump field on the Penny road side, and Matt got this bowfin. Another species for the speedcraw for us! Not a bad day, but still looking for the bigger fish! Light Automotive tire Bicycle tire Road surface Wood

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, Darrell, they scrap well, no doubt. More of a thrashing about than a pull. I still say bass are better fighters, with their runs, leaps and surges, but bowfins are certainly top notch battlers. And all those nasty teeth!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes, it gave him a tussle. Thinking about a citation for him. They have to be 22", and she's better than that.
Oops, I was off by a few inches. You're right. My 9yo caught a 25" bowfin and I got him a citation for it. It's framed on his wall along with the bent up lure. We smile every time we look at it.

Great fish, you can be proud of that one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you want citation bowfin then hit Maxwell or Tull's Mill Ponds. There's more in there than any other fish, except maybe the Jack Pike. I've caught plenty of 3'-4' Bowfin in Tull's mill pond, but do not consider them a fish on my keeper list.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I'd love to see pics of those world record bowfin. State record is about 3'. A 4' specimen would shatter the world record by far. They tend to max out at 30" and just grow fatter from there. A 30" fish can weigh 8-12lbs and an 18lb fish is only about 36. They're scary looking and it's hard to guess weight and length when you're excited.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd love to see pics of those world record bowfin. State record is about 3'. A 4' specimen would shatter the world record by far. They tend to max out at 30" and just grow fatter from there. A 30" fish can weigh 8-12lbs and an 18lb fish is only about 36. They're scary looking and it's hard to guess weight and length when you're excited.
Well I guess you'll have to go to Tull's Mill Pond and get to the rear of the arms and find out for yourself!

·
Registered
209 Posts
My son (12) and I love to catch bowfin. His biggest is 10lbs and 29 in. Sounds like we may need to visit tull's millpond. Is that private land all around it? And can you access it from shore or put a canoe or kayak?
It's a private mill pond still owned by the Tull family but the caretaker is Jeff Stanley. It opens daily at 7 a.m. and closes at dark. You can fish from the dam only on land (Everything around it is swamp). Best way to get to the lake is by boat and it takes all sizes (I've seen bass boats, jon boats, kayaks, little plastic pontoons and even larger Carolina Skiffs in it). It is shaped like a football goal post with the ramp/store/dam/spillway at the bottom right on Old Pink Hill Rd. about a half mile off of Highway 11/Tull's Mill Rd. Turn on Tull's Mill Rd. right across from South Lenoir High School in Deep Run, N.C. Cost is $5.00 per person (Pay inside the store...also available minnows/crickets/snacks/soda pop/small selection of tackle). Closes for the winter from 1 Dec-1 Mar.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
SpeciesWeightLocationDateAnglerLure/BaitPhoto
bowfin17 lbs 15 ozBlack River6/21/97Gregory A. Demery, Sr.Cut bait bream

Absolutely no mention of how long the fish was...except that the min. length must be 22 inches on the NCWC website.

https://www.landbigfish.com/staterecords/fishrecords.cfm?ID=71

http://www.bowfinanglers.com/recordtips.html

I saw this and did my research to double check BEFORE I replied. The world record bowfin, according to bowfin anglers group, weighed 21 lbs and was only 37 inches. it's safe to say the state record was shorter then that, meaning three feet or less. If there's one fish I know, it's bowfin.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.