NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at a PHW mtg recently where they discussed using braid for leader material, when mtn trout fishing. When I first started fly fishing, I was told that mono and fluro had a particular bending property that helped form the loop during the cast, and that braid would not form a proper loop giving a bad cast. Was the info at PHW correct and braid makes good leader (after all the inside of flylines is braid). Or does braid only work in certain sizes, such as less than 10lb. Have always gotten good answers here when I asked questions. Thanks to all in advance if you participate.

·
Banned
324 Posts
Never heard of this, don't know if it will work as braid doesn't have the same fundamental properties of mono. In my mind I would think that it wouldn't roll out as well as mono and provide more of a 'hinge' effect at the knot instead of transferring energy through a loop.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
There are furled leaders which are made from twisting/spinning thread or mono etc....and you must add tippet material to them before connecting to the fly. There are braided leaders that are made from a very thick braided material that you add tippet to. (the Orvis link) (not be be confused with the thin braided line like folks load on spinning and casting rods.) Some folks rave about furled leaders and their ability to unroll. Other rave about the braided leaders. Others find fault with braided and furled leaders. But by far, most of my customers use the extruded mono or flourocarbon tapered leaders...and perhaps fine-tune and customize them with various size of tippet material. I think most competition fly fishermen are using mono leaders in combination with flourocarbon tippet....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.