NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new reel yesterday and had it loaded with 10lb braid. Before I get frustrated with it can those that use braid give me some advice on using it on a Stradic 3000 reel.

·
Red X Angler
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear a lot about getting wind knots but not how to avoid them. I will try to get some practice with it this weekend I hope.

·
Red X Angler
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Closing the bell by hand no problem already do that. I will have to keep the setting the hook in mind as my mind set will be to set it .

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Closing the bell by hand no problem already do that. I will have to keep the setting the hook in mind as my mind set will be to set it .
If you are fishing the Red X event (which I think you are), there are lots of guys to help you with knots and such. And if you use bait and a circle hook you definitely need to cure the 'hook set' itch as you will miss the fish. Like ICM said reel it tight...I use a little side sweep with the rod as I tighten up. Braid is different, but most of us find it so superior to mono that it's on almost every reel we own. I only use mono stream fishing and crappie fishing any more.

·
Red X Angler
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great info guys that will help me a lot. Will the uni knot be good for attaching leader to main line or should I use something else.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would keep an eye out for that loop, as brendardo said. Listen for it as well, it will make a tale tale "fffwwwwpppp" sound when you cast, if you hear that just strip the line till the loop is out. Also try to always have pressure on the line when reeling it in, I feel if you wind in "loose" line it will cause it to loop more often. I think you will enjoy braid, it has no memory and since it doesnt stretch it much more sensitive.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Great info guys that will help me a lot. Will the uni knot be good for attaching leader to main line or should I use something else.
The DOUBLE uni knot is what you need to attach the leader. Palomar for the lure/bait. There are other good knots but those two have always worked well for me.

Good input on 'wind knots'. They usually are caused by slack in the line, whether casting or reeling. Usually they are not 'knots' at all and with a deft fingernail can be straightened out. Like anything else new you will go through a learning phase but eventually become much more proficient. I very seldom get a wind knot anymore and use braid on baitcasters as well as spinning gear. Be interesting to hear your opinion on the sensitivity gain once you start using that braid.

Also, have a small wooden dowel if you get hung and have to break off. Be sure to point the rod tip straight at the snag and wrap the braid around the dowel a couple of times. If you don't you run the risk of breaking the tip of that rod. NEVER grab the braid in your hands and pull unless you enjoy emergency room wait times.....it will slice you like a razor.

·
Registered
365 Posts
QUOTE=Brenardo;485145]Uni to Uni will work for attaching main line to leader but IMO there are easier and quicker knots to tie. Give me a second and I will provide a couple links to what I like to use.

Braid doesn't hold well with many traditional mono and fluoro knots. My experience is that the Double Uni (Uni to Uni) is the easiest line to leader knot to tie that will hold dependably with Braid as one of the lines.

Plus Fishin,'
RW

·
Registered
441 Posts
IMO when you learn the Alberto knot, it's easier than it looks..it's smaller than a barrel swivel and you can use a longer leader. I have ripped out inserts of the eyes in my rod before because I used a tiny swivel and reeled in past the top eye. Everyone I fish with says don't use em

Reactions: Fish_Fiend
1 - 20 of 56 Posts