NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I recently spooled a couple of reels with brand new Suffix and Power line braid. I just have one question. Do you have problem with the braided line knoting, twisting, and snagging? After two trips with those reels, I came home and swapped them out with my usual Trilene mono.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I have renamed my Power Pro braid to POWER KNOT-- If I could duplicate one of the knots--I would apply for a patent.:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just read a good article in the months Shallow Water Angler that address this issue..He calls them 'braid boggers". If I think about it, I'll bring it into the office, scan it in and post it. I've had the same trouble with it too.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I've used FireLine smoke and crystal, and one of the PowerPro varieties... They don't knot much on my spinning gear. I must be doing something wrong...

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
i get them on 6lb fireline with my ultralight spinning rig all the time. drives me nuts, but i still prefer fireline to anything else i've tried.

// joel
qualification: get wind knots with 6lb fireline all the time; but NOT with 14lb FL. it does happen with 14lb, just very infrequently.

// joel

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
One thing I do to avoid this is I close my bail by hand.
i ritually close my spinning bail by hand. but still get wind knots with 6lb FL braid on my UL rig. but closing the bail by hand does seem to reduce most of those annoying loops you get with spinning reels (again, still have more of these type problems with the smaller diameter FL on my UL).

// joel

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
we may be talking about diff kinds of knots that people often call "wind knots" -- good article HERE about this issue. the knots caused by not closing the bail is not technically a wind knot (i.e., cause is not the wind), so this article argues. i don't care what we call the knots, but i do know NOT closing the bail will cause loops and eventually knots with a spinning reel. but i still get knots with my UL with 6lb FL, even tho i close the bail manually all the time. these are the kind of knots that wind up wrapped around a guide or out in the water (you hear & feel the "thunk" of the knot going thru the guide when you cast). sometimes they're so bad i can't get them out and eventually break the line trying to pull them out (sometimes i can pull 'em out, but that never works when i don't have spare line!). // joel

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand and appreciate your responses. I was trying braid, because so much has been made over the size and strength difference. But, if you are spending time straightening out knots, you don't have your line in the water where the fish happen to reside. I've switched back to Trilene XL and Trilene Vanish. Thanks guys for letting me know that I wasn't loosing it totally. Wet a line this weekend.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I flip my bail by hand and I use a swivel with just about everything so I minimize twist. I've had little trouble at all.. but I have had some minor trouble with P Pro...

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
is it possible the reel itself contributes to the problem (or lack of it)? i have the problems with a relatively inexpensive okuma spinning reel. what reel(s) are you using? // joel

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Shimano, Saharas/ Sedonas/ Sonoras, It doesnt like my cheap Silstar Baitrunner,I get knots with it so it makes me think the reel has something to do with it. I have it on my Okuma Coronado but havent fished it yet.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I use mostly Diawas and use power pro and very few problems. But maybe because of the weight I usually casting with it. I cast 1/4 oz and larger lures, usually flip my own bails and check for loops before I start reeling.

A lot of times when you flip the bail you put a loop in the line and that starts a lot of trouble.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
power pro is like a new pair of blue jeans stiff and uncomfortable.. but after a while it softens up.. i prefure calcutta ultra my self it has that already broken in feel to it..

zooker

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I use PP braid on all my Shimano Stradic reels and can count the wind knots I have had over the last 3 years on one hand (with fingers left over). I too close the bail manually and make sure the spool is not overfilled.

I think the rod might have something to do with it too. Or at least the guides - how many and what material they are made from (friction).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.