NC Angler Forums banner

Braided or Mono???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious as to what the majority of anglers are using out there, Braided or mono. I just recently made the switch on one of my baitcasters to Berkley Fireline. To be honest with you, I think the jury is still out on this one. On one hand, the knot strength is unmatched by Mono. But so far I have to say that I got much longer casts using mono line. Also, I am a bit worried that the braided line will end up destroying the guides on my rod, it feels like you are running guitar wire through the guides:eek:. I am hoping this is only because the line has very little use so far. Look forward to hearing the responses.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I put braid on most of my spinners. I like the lower stretch, and I feel like I can feel better what's going on under the water. I usually put a mono or flouro leader on the end, so that if I get snagged, worst case I'll break the leader. If I used all mono, I'd stretch it so much before it broke that I'd have to pull off great wads of the stuff to retie to unstretched line.

On the other hand, the braid knots awfully tight... and I've been thankful not to have it on my baitcaster. The backlashes are much easier to get out of the flouro that was recommended by CoreyAtCastaway.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I love my Fireline, but I use both cause I can't afford to put Fireline on all my reels at once. I also use Lefty's method of using a mono leader attached by a swivel with the lead, bobber etc. above the swivel on the Fireline. That way, if I get a snag, all I lose is the hook.
Again, I'll have to echo Lefty. The Fireline does knot tight! Good advice on the baitcaster Lefty. I'll remember that.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
lthrnck03 - I am puzzled about your comment that you get less casting distance from braid. I have experienced the opposite. Braid is thinner so it has a smaller resistance profile and should travel further through the air. But I mainly use a spinning reels so maybe on a bait caster it would be offset by the anti-backlash features of the reel. Other than that I'm not sure why we have had the opposite experience.

One of the main reasons I prefer braid is the sensitivity. That is especially helpfully when targeting grouper, sheepshead, flounder, and other soft bite species. Stretch also is a big factor for me.

However I do still use mono for my king mack trolling reels. Not much reason to add the expense on those as there is no benefit unless you wanted to use smaller reels with the braid.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'll take mono anyday of the week. I have tried the braid and just didn't care that much for it. After breaking the a rod snapped from having the line hung up on some underwater structure, yeah I know shouldn't have been winching on it, I gave up on it. Also I find the stretch of mono to be more helpful to me personally when working a larger fish on light line, which is what I mainly use. I like the smaller diameter that braid offers for the same weight of mono but that was about it. Also for the low price and high quality of todays mono I just can't see the need of paying more for braid.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I use both braid for sheephead and flounder, mono for everthing else. I do use my old braid as backing as well. I still like the stretch in mono for thing like kingfishing and trout less pulled hooks from serging fish.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i have braid on only 4 rods the rest run mono only.. anything that needs alot of feel i use braid o any thing else gets mono..

zooker

G

·
You should have no proplem with any newer/deceint rod with guide inserts, as to about the guide wear.
maybe the BIG FISH while saltwater fishing and cranking back with all you've got is different ?

I'm mostly 6 +8 # mono. Used braid for ice fishing and one bass rod. I have a new baitcaster( CITICA ) and am deciding which line to put on .
To throw another in the mix besides flouro, are the "super monos" COPOLYMERS. I guess it comes down to the most intended use as far as type of fish, water clarity, deepth/distance of line, baits/action.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I only use flouro or braid. I am not a big fan of mono except for its price. I use braid on a baitcaster specifically for carolina rigging and use a flouro leader. I agree with lefty that the stretch of mono doesn't provide the hook set I like. I haven't seen any wear on my guides and I normally throw a 1/2 to 3/4 oz weight. Flouro to me has all benefits over mono. Flouro sinks mono floats so you can say that mono may be better for topwater but flouro is somewhere inbetween mono and braid on all issues. It is pricey but I've haven't broken off nearly as much and the money I save on lost lures covers the flouro cost.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just spooled up my baitcaster, Tidewater 30, with Cortland Spectron 50lb Blackspot Braid. I fish catfish and some saltwater and I personally like the braid because of stretch it does very little of it. That means when I drift out a good length of line and set the hook it sets over the distance. The ability to put higher tensile strength on my pole at the smaller diameter is great also. The problem comes if you get hung up it won't break I just have to hope the hook breaks or comes loose.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
The problem comes if you get hung up it won't break I just have to hope the hook breaks or comes loose.
I use 65 pound braid on my grouper rigs with a fluorocarbon leader. I keep a wooden 3/4" dowel like you find at the hardware store handy (a sawed off broom stick would work too but is bigger around and bulky). When I get hung and can't shake it loose, I take all the slack out, wrap a few loops of the braid around the dowel, hold the dowel up against the bottom of the reel, point the rod straight down toward the water so the braid isn't at an angle against the end guide and then pull till the line snaps - usually the fluorocarbon breaks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'll use Mono for my top water presentations, it floats so its much better for top water. I use fluro for all my spinners, crainks, and some of worm presentations like t-rig and carolina rig all depends on the water clarity and depth I'm fishing. I use braid for using my jigs and frogs, when I'm throwing those into fallen trees or thick vegetation areas for fishing frogs. So all in all you can't really say braided or mono cause they are used totally different ways. but if you were to ask what typed of braid is prefered or mono is prefered, I love power pro I can't stand berkley fireline

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Both-but for different presentations. Love th braid (Power Pro 20-30) for Caroling rigging for drum. The abrasion resistance and holding power of this line makes it great for drum. The low stretch makes an easy hookset when a drum grabs the bait and runs, then they hook themselves with the circle hook.:p

Like mono (Stren) when casting jigs for trout. I like the give or stretch factor on the line so you are not horsing them in. :cool:

Lots of other things like those above, don't think you can just have 1 type or size or poundage on all your rod and reels.

Set up for caroling rig, popping cork, jigs, mirror lure, topwater lures and the list goes on. So many techniques and so much line to chose from.

Tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i use 20,30,and 40 pound braid..calcutta ultra.. braid has it uses but for cranking or spinner baits give me mono..i use ande mono only btw..

zooker

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I`m mainly fishing for bass and I quit using anything but stealth or power pro for all the reasons mentioned already. I don`t use a leader except for trout fishing. I get better distance with braid than I ever did with mono. My only two drawback points are having to be a little more careful popping the bail over due to stiffness and really cold days braid will freeze pretty quick. Knot stength is so good I can sraighten out a 3/0 gamakatsu (carefully ,by being right over it in the yak) with 10 lb stealth. I would use braid just for the lack of memory alone . It doesn`t do much good to set the hook on 20 ft of "curly Q`s". I use alot of topwater stuff and get better action with the almost no stretch of braid. If I ever feel like I want to be a little conservative with a fish I`ll use the drag. I don`t want my line to be a shock absorber. I am not rich and I don`t like the price but I`m willing to pay it.
Lot of good info guys, as usual. Just my .02 --------------------- stu

·
Registered
418 Posts
I use mostly sufix elite mono on my rigs, except my shimano and I got sufix performance braid on it. I would really like to spool it on my Okuma 80 for surf casting, but don't want to spend 30-40 bucks to spool it either.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I pad my spools with mono and top them off with braid. Only exception would be the reel I am hoping to use offshore or kingfishing on the piers. I filled it with braid since I might actually catch something big enough to spool me one day!!..LOL!!

Reactions: lthrnck03 and Rob S

·
Registered
418 Posts
Haha yeah I was thinking the same, hooking up with a smoker would suck especially if he spool all that braid! How much do you usually use to top off drop? My biggest spinner (that's what I feel comfortable making over 100yd casts as I usually backlash my baitcaster) is an 80 size Okuma epixor, so it's rated 350/20lb. So you would put maybe 200yds of 20lb mono, then 200 of 30lb braid (assuming that most manufacturers fib on the line rating except conventionals where you can really pack it on)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.