NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am actually moving from Cincinnati to right across the boarder in SC. I fly fish. I also use a kayak or canoe. I was wondering if anyone could tell some good rivers to float for smallmouth, white bass, or stripers. I have heard a little about the Broad River. Any more info would help. Also any good rivers to tackle carp on the fly.Ronnie

Crocodile Haven
Crocodile Haven

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey Croc! I am originally from Western Hills myself after being born in Greenfield. Left the area in '67 and have never been back to live only visit family and such. Eat Skyline and Gold Star, drink Vernor's and eat Craters ice cream and Larosa's. Making myself hungry for a White Castle. Better shut up now won't sleep
Moved to NC from ND in "84 after many years traveling in the military. I think you will love it here.

Welcome!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome to the area. I am not sure if you have any interest in fly fishing for trout now that you are in NC, but I wanted to mention it. Annual trout permits are reasonable in NC, and some of our streams are well stocked. We do not have the really wide open rivers that harvest some of the larger trout you will see a little west of NC, but this is still a great place to trout fish nonetheless. It is great to be able to sit back in a narrow, fast moving, river with cool water running by. If you find the right spot on the right day it will be almost like fishing in a bath tub. Coming from the Piedmont area I like to make a quick trip to the Stone Mountain area. I am not sure what part of SC you are moving to, but from the Charlotte area you may want to go north of Rutherfordton. From Charlotte you can reach some of these areas in about a 2 hour drive. If you go to the NC Wildlife website you can view maps and what you can expect to catch in some of the waters around NC. It also has some great trout maps.

Not sure how interested you are in this, but I wanted to throw something new to you that you may not have been able to experience before you moved here. Good luck.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Don't know about NC but the Santee/Cooper chain in SC is world class fishing!!!! Welcome to the party!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Welcome to the site croc,I live on the coast but head to the mountains every chance I get,check out the NEW RIVER I`ve fished parts of it several times around west jefferson for smallmouth.......mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure I would like the trout fishing. When I think trout I drive five hours for steelhead. Steelhead get really good size. I will be living just south of Charoltte in SC. Still looking for smallie, white bass, and striper rivers I can kayak. Any info on the Broad. Ronnie

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I think Lake Norman will be a good place for you as well..

·
Registered
488 Posts
The Nanthalaha would be good choice. Plenty of places to put in at with a kayak and isn't far from you. The Broad is a good steam to and has good smallmouth fishing. Both rivers are stocked for trout by the WRC. Just had to throw that in being a trout fisher at heart.

·
Registered
31 Posts
While picking up reference material to learn about the water in NC, I found this book: "A Paddler's Guide to Eastern North Carolina". Search for it on AMAZON where you can buy used copies (12 currently avail). It's just a series of paddler route maps and small descriptions of where you can put in, take out, how long it will take and what to expect along the route.

It might help you discover more river and stream options.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Give us a try in Surry County! We have The Mitchell River (near Dobson) that is a delayed harvest stream with a single hook artificial lure only restriction that offers great wading opportunities for the fly fisherman. I've met guys as far away as Raleigh that come to fish. I live in Mount Airy and my daughter lives close to Presbyterian Hospital in Charlotte and it takes me about an hour forty minutes to get there. You could probably go from your driveway to fishing in around two hours. The river is only three turns off I-77and easily found. Three years ago while fishing from the bank, I caught and released a small rainbow. It was a little slow to recover so I was keeping an eye on it. Then out of the shadows came a giant and literally inhaled it, had to go 24-26 inches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.