NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fished the pilings on the emerald isle bridge or the swansboro bridge pilings? Are there any sheepshead ? Also has anyone been fishing around behind bear island recently?

·
Registered
153 Posts
We used to fish the bridge by swansboro by dudleys after work when I lived in the barracks, never looked for sheepshead, but caught plenty of flounder and a few reds.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Has anyone fished the pilings on the emerald isle bridge or the swansboro bridge pilings? Are there any sheepshead ? Also has anyone been fishing around behind bear island recently?
Hey Otterpop - welcome aboard!

I know the bridge as Emerald Isle use to hold sheepshead - haven't been there lately though. I'm betting it still does - they love piling with barnacles and clams.

·
Registered
32 Posts
a friend and i fished the pilings on the swansboro bridge a couple of yrs. ago and was successful in catching about 25 sheepshead. the current was somewhat swift but manageable.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Do sheepshead move out when it is cold? I have been wanting to try some of them myself as I have never caught any. I put a post up here a while back and some one said they move out when it is cold water and then come back in the area when the water warms up. Is that true or is there all ways some in there area and they just go off feed when the water cools.
God I am tired of cold weather for one year, don't know about the rest of you. I am not ready for 100 degrees by no means but a nice 70 - 75 for a few weeks would be great.
Thanks
James

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
That bridge certainly does hold sheepshead. I think there might be one other bridge down that way that holds sheeps head. There was a big right up about sheepshead fishing at Emerlad Isle last year in North Carolina sportsman. I'm not sure about their cold weather habits but you can absolutely catch them there. Once you get those dog days of summer it, i hear its tough to beat sitting under a bridge for a few hours catching "bream on steroids"

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I understand they pull out to some of the rock piles and ledges and then move back in when the water warms up some. How much I don't know.

An y bridge that stands in the ICW will hold sheephead if it has been there for a while and has barnacles on them and fiddler crabs about.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
32 Posts
thanks for the info. maybe i can persuade my son-in-law to check it out next time we go. this may sound crazy but i read this on the internet. a fisherman in florida has a UNIQUE way to fish for sheepshead. he purchases 1/2 inch orange pom-pom balls from a hobby shop. he runs 1 ball over his hook and glues them on with crazy glue. he uses pieces of fresh shrimp as bait and swears the sheepshead hang on longer when biting because the balls absorb the shrimp smell. sounds crazy gut he says it works. :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have never fished the Emerald Isle bridge pilings but the White Oak river bridge pilings in Swansboro is a great spot. I've cought some nice sheephead there.
There's a trick to catching Sheephead. You have to set the hook 1/2 second befor he bites, then " if he is a big one " hold on for dear life.
MOFISH

·
Registered
32 Posts
tough to determine when that 1/2 second is. i talked to a fisherman yesterday and he told me about going to a reef about 12 miles out of murrell's inlet. caught 46 sheepies before calling it a day. he says that it's easier to catch them offshore compared to inshore because there is no current to deal with:D:D:D

·
Registered
791 Posts
I tried several times last year to get down there but everday I'd planned to take off to fish got blown/rained out :(

Starting in May I plan to try it again and see if I can find some ;) Got my coffee cans for fiddlers ready :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.