NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tried my luck at bridge fishing recently near the Pamlico.

Fished Friday night from a local bridge (boat is in the shop for annual maintenance). Arrived at location at 1830 hrs. Air temp was 51, water temp was unknown (guessing it was between 45-50 F). Water clarity was excellent at around 3-4 ft. Water was moving slowly, maybe 3-5 ft/min. Light breeze out of the S/SW. Went to my go to Gulp Swimming Mullet for the first hour or so with only a couple of bumps, nothing landed. Switch over to a Mirrorlure MR17 and for the next hour exercised my arm with again only a couple of bumps and one brief hookup. Finally one solid strike at about 2100 hrs clued me in that the bite was starting. Next cast, I snagged bottom...except the bottom immediately doubled my rod, ran to the bridge and broke my 12 lb braid just before making the bridge taking a $7 Mirrolure with it. Re-rigged and hit the water again and immediately got smacked...managed to drag this one away from the bridge and walked it down to the rocks on the end and confirmed my suspicions...a nice fat 20" striper! Over the next two hours I landed about 15-20 with the largest being a solid 24" (see picture). Fat but aggressive these fish were putting on a show. The school finally moved on at 2300 hrs leaving me with sore shoulders and arms. Couldn't keep them but oh so much fun to play with.

Saturday night thinking I'd get a repeat I arrived later at around 1930 hrs and rigged for more of the same. Air temps were slightly warmer at around 58 F. Water temp was probably up slightly at maybe 50-52 F. Water clarity was excellent at 3-5 ft. Water was moving at about the same rate as the previous night. Fished hard from 1930 hrs until 2300 hrs with absolutely no luck....not even a bump! Finally at 2300 hrs managed a solid strike and my first thought was finally, the stripers are back! Fish hit a mirrorLure MR17 fished just off the bottom with slow twitch-twitch retrieve. I spent the better part of 3-5 minutes trying to control it. Funny thing was it never went for the bridge so I has a suspicion that this was not a striper! After controlling the fish and wearing it out to the point where I could manage it I walked it down to the rocks and finally got a look at it. Turns out it was a nice fat 25" speck (see picture)...go figure...rig for stripers...catch one lonely trout!

Not the best fishing but the stripers were entertaining and it's not often I have been able to drag in a 25" trout. Tight lines guys...probably going to hit it again this coming weekend!

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
Well done! Both fish are beauties!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tried my luck at bridge fishing recently near the Pamlico.

Fished Friday night from a local bridge (boat is in the shop for annual maintenance). Arrived at location at 1830 hrs. Air temp was 51, water temp was unknown (guessing it was between 45-50 F). Water clarity was excellent at around 3-4 ft. Water was moving slowly, maybe 3-5 ft/min. Light breeze out of the S/SW. Went to my go to Gulp Swimming Mullet for the first hour or so with only a couple of bumps, nothing landed. Switch over to a Mirrorlure MR17 and for the next hour exercised my arm with again only a couple of bumps and one brief hookup. Finally one solid strike at about 2100 hrs clued me in that the bite was starting. Next cast, I snagged bottom...except the bottom immediately doubled my rod, ran to the bridge and broke my 12 lb braid just before making the bridge taking a $7 Mirrolure with it. Re-rigged and hit the water again and immediately got smacked...managed to drag this one away from the bridge and walked it down to the rocks on the end and confirmed my suspicions...a nice fat 20" striper! Over the next two hours I landed about 15-20 with the largest being a solid 24" (see picture). Fat but aggressive these fish were putting on a show. The school finally moved on at 2300 hrs leaving me with sore shoulders and arms. Couldn't keep them but oh so much fun to play with.

Saturday night thinking I'd get a repeat I arrived later at around 1930 hrs and rigged for more of the same. Air temps were slightly warmer at around 58 F. Water temp was probably up slightly at maybe 50-52 F. Water clarity was excellent at 3-5 ft. Water was moving at about the same rate as the previous night. Fished hard from 1930 hrs until 2300 hrs with absolutely no luck....not even a bump! Finally at 2300 hrs managed a solid strike and my first thought was finally, the stripers are back! Fish hit a mirrorLure MR17 fished just off the bottom with slow twitch-twitch retrieve. I spent the better part of 3-5 minutes trying to control it. Funny thing was it never went for the bridge so I has a suspicion that this was not a striper! After controlling the fish and wearing it out to the point where I could manage it I walked it down to the rocks and finally got a look at it. Turns out it was a nice fat 25" speck (see picture)...go figure...rig for stripers...catch one lonely trout!

Not the best fishing but the stripers were entertaining and it's not often I have been able to drag in a 25" trout. Tight lines guys...probably going to hit it again this coming weekend!
Thanks for the report. You gotta be tired from casting that much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts