NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to try my new go-to hole for Stripers and trout on Friday night (10Dec).

Arrived at 1920 hrs. Air temp was mild at 54 F. Water temp must have been low 50's and clarity was not great at maybe 1-2.5 feet (rain from Wednesday had things stirred up still). Wind was light out of the N/NW at maybe 2-4 knots. It was heavily overcast so low light conditions. Found my mark and tossed and slow counted to 12 then started trolling a MR17...twitch-twitch, walk 6-10 ft, stop, count to five, twitch-twitch, repeat...before I had gone 20 yards was bumped (always a good sign). Trolled another 40 yards and was rewarded with a solid hook-up. I knew this was a striper (he made a run for the bridge) but I turned him, wore him down some and walked him down to the rocks...a nice fat 20" striper (see attached pic). Released him and went back for more. After my fifth striper, all ranging between 20-23", I hooked a fish at 2232 hrs that didn't feel quite the same...yeah I knew it was a trout but just how big, I couldn't tell. After about 3 minutes of wearing him down I walked him over to the rocks and dayummmmmmm....another gator speckled trout that was a solid 24". Pulled him in and took a pic (see attached) then did the right thing and slipped him back over the rail where he immediately made an obscene gesture and swam off, ready to fight another day. Two stripers later at around 2300 hrs I decided I'd had enough fun and called it a night.

Saturday in advance of the impending cold front I decided to give to a go one more time. Same spot...air temp was 62 F, water must have been around 54-56, wind was still out of the south at 12-14 knots. Initially it was overcast with low light but by around 2100 hrs it was moonlit and too light, IMO, to keep the bite. Went through the usual motions and immediately snagged a piling losing a $9 Mirrorlure in the process (I hate it when I do that!). Took a few minutes to re-rig and check my lure action. With the wind so stiff I could see there was going to be problems getting down to the fish using the MR17 so I moved over to a Pearl White Gulp Swimming Mullet and a 3/8 oz head (yeah the wind was that stiff). Nothing on Gulps so on to a Rattletrap...lure was getting into the strike zone but nothing was taking so back to the drawing board... I finally went back to another of my MR17's and added six split-shot about 14" above my lure...a quick check told me I might have a chance at fish then so back to trolling. To make a long story short, with the change in weather I didn't have a great night but did manage a couple of stripers and one lonely trout....16".

So the weekend was not so bad but not as good as it could have been and I did learn a nice trick for how to get a Mirrorlure down when the wind is kicking and your braid is billowing in the wind. Waiting for the next weekend and hoping for cooler weather to turn the striper bite back on again!

Tight lines, all!

Water Fish Underwater Marine biology Fin
Water Organism Fish Fin Marine biology

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Feetup....sorry I hadn't responded sooner. I posted a new bridge report at the first of the week and kind of figured you'd see it. The boat is back in the driveway begging me to hook up and run. I'm trying really hard to resist that temptation as I did promise the S/O that I wouldn't be running it again until the spring season which I observe as 15March...that means we have 67 days until I get to try the new radio and hit the river or inlet.

I've had a little luck off the bridge but for those nights where I've hit it big on stripers or trout, there have been about as many nights of getting skunked. This time of year is always spotty...it will get better, this we know!

Tight lines!
Bruce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts