NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fished the bridge on the dates given. Dec16 air temps were 52, water temp around 52-54. Wind out of the S/SW at 5-7 knots. Water clarity was poor with not more than 1-2.5 ft. Using a 17MR BKG initially. Second cast brought my first fish, a nice fat 20” Speck. Lots of bumps later this turned out to be the high point of the night…one lonely trout. 17Dec wasn’t much better: air temp was high 50’s, winds out of the south at 10-13 knots; water temps must have been in that same low 50’s range. Water clarity was maybe 2 ft. Fished the same 17MR BKG with me getting skunked and one of the crew netting a 17” speck. Not a great night fishing but great night out.

26Dec I treated myself to a birthday fish. Air temp was 58 on arrival at 1820 hrs. Wind was light out of the E/SE at maybe 3-5 knots. Fished a 17MR BKG and hooked up solid on my second cast. This hook up was on the far end of the bridge from my usual landing spot so it was a long walk down but the 18” striper kept me company (see pic). After this fish I made it a point to return to the truck and grab the new pier net. This turned out to be a good decision!

At 2330 hrs I called it a night after landing a total of seven nice fat stripers. The longest was just shy of 25” (see pic); the shortest was the 18” that started it all. Not a great night for trout but most entertaining with the Stripers. Beautiful night to be out!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
nice reports. have you ever tried the XL version of the MR17 or the paul brown / any other larger profile baits. I have seen that i have more luck with large profiles lures when night fishing, i guess its easier for them to see the larger profile

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice reports. have you ever tried the XL version of the MR17 or the paul brown / any other larger profile baits. I have seen that i have more luck with large profiles lures when night fishing, i guess its easier for them to see the larger profile
Sal,

I tend to use the smaller sized Mirror Lures because they more closely resemble what bait fish are available this time of year so the short answer is no, I haven't tried the larger profiles. I may just have to look into this given your observations.

Tight lines,
Bruce

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.