NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
some air cooled tiller moter no water pump works like a stanard tiller moter not sure about if ya mix oil with it or not. if it works anything like the push mower should be a good moter..

zooker

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
According to what I read the motor is a 5 hp aircooled 4 stroke that will run at 4000 rpm for 6 hrs on 3 gallons of gas. It uses a remote gas tank and weighs 56 lbs without the tank. It is CARB compliant (emissions standard). I think retail is about $750.00 0r you can get a realtree camo model for $850. I have not heard any first hand info on them but I believe they would make a good johnboat motor. The article I read said it was significantly quiter than 2 cycle motors. especially at higher rpms. I don't know, but I doubt that it would last as long as an outboard made by the major outboard makers.... but if you get what you pay for you also have to pay for what you get. buyers choice...AL

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Brigg's and Straton make pretty good motors, are easy to rebuild/work on and can easily find parts for them.

Brigg's has a great reputation for reliability. I've rebuilt many Brigg's motors and always liked working on them over Techumshen motors and such.

Marine enviornment? I'd go with the Brigg's for hand till type motor, should be reliable for years. Though, I wouldnt recommend them for saltwater use. My personnal opinion is, a cowling covered motor would be best suited for saltwater use as the motor would be more protected from the salt enviornment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have one that I purchased at Bass Pro Shops in Concord Mills. I have used it once on Lake Twitty outside Monroe NC and this summer in the Pamlico Sound behind Frisco, NC. It has been very reliable and seems to be as advertised.

However, it does not compare to my old (and I mean OLD) 1954 2 cycle Mongomery Wards Sea King 5 two cylinder. The older motor is much lighter and smoother running than the Briggs. Believe it or not it is also much quieter since the Briggs uses basically a lawn mower muffler that dumps the exhaust right out of the motor at ear level unlike the underwater exhaust of the SK 5.

I'm reworking my Sea King and will probably sell the Briggs once the older motor is running reliably. Other's opinions may or may not be different from mine, but the Briggs is just not what I look for in an outboard.:)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I've seen alot of the older small outboards for sale on Ebay lately for 300 bucks or less. I'd go with that since parts are still very easy to buy and the 2 cycle durability cant be beat. Flush it when you use it and even salt water wont be such an issue. I'm actually bidding on a couple now to use as a troller for my Glasspar...

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Registered
512 Posts
Here's a report after 2 years of service on my 12 foot alumacraft:

PROS
Inexpensive
Has not left me stranded!
Pushes me along fine if I'm solo
Usually starts fairly easily
Routine maintenance is fairly easy

CONS
A bit noisy, especially when first started.
A couple of times has been hard to start, but ran and started fine once warm.
Recently running rough, think it was bad gas, seems to be resolved.
One of the fuel lines has small cracks (but no leaks) after 2 years of use.
When you put it in reverse, there's a catch that engages to keep the motor in the water. Mine often doesn't "catch". Probably should get warranty service (2 years), but hate to be without the motor! (also, rarely use reverse since I have a stern-mount trolling motor).

For me, it was all about the price! Got it on sale.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a Briggs that I used on the neuse around Kinston for fishing and running cat hooks and also a trap line.I used the motor for over ten years.Rebuilt it one time.The motor was tough as a lighter knot,but was finaly destoried by a direct hit from a tornado along with the john boat and trailer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.