NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago i was out on the water with my buddy cruising along when a alarm went off and my boat went dead. Found out it was the oil injector not pumping any oil.

My question is should i get another injector or should i get a block off plate and just premix. Ive been looking for the plate online but cant seem to find it . Does anybody have any suggestions. Its for a yamaha inshore 90

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I know with Evinrudes it is popular to trash the pump and premix so you never have to worry.. I'll see what I can find for Yammys

Reactions: surfnflyangler

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Tough decision.... one you'll have to decide ultimately.

Drop's right though, and alot of folks will block off and run pre-mix (just have to keep up with the fuel #'s to stay with the right mix).

Or repair/replace oil pump...

My opinion is... if it's a newer motor, I'd go for the pump repair.. if it's an older motor and the cost would be more than it's worth... block it off and pre-mix.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
After doing a little research it looks like the yammy direct injects oil into the reed valves and oil never passes through the actual fuel system like it does on Evinrudes. With this in mind mixing oil and gas in the tank will cause the jets to clog much easier because of the increased viscosity of the oil/gas mix so it may be in your best interest to keep this engine as it was designed...
I also have read that it is a variable injection that adds more/less oil as engine rpm and load changes. You can't do that with pre-mix.

Reactions: surfnflyangler

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks sundrop for the help, I gotta another question for ya though. If i got some rust going on one of the cylinders after wire brushing it off whats something good to coat over it? Primer, Rhinoliner Ive been told both but i like to see what else people think.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'm a big fan of Plasti-kote engine enamels. They can withstand the heat on a car engine so I know they will hold up well on an outboard. They have a bit of zinc oxide in them also to help keep rust from coming back as easily... I've also used Rustoleum paints with good results but didn't have the engines long enough to abuse them much....LOL! Keep in mind to limit the layers of paint because over painting or build up of multiple layers over time keeps the metals from dissipating heat as they should and you will cause "hotspots" in the block... Also be careful about getting overspray on wiring as some paints have enough metalic compounds in them to carry voltage and disrupt the electrical system in small amounts causing premature wear on parts such as regulators/coils/computers/electronics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.