NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S o recently my local river has been really low and ive been enjoying comfortably wading the very clear and very easy sight fishing that has come with it. Bluegill, bass, gar and bowfin galore all on my new fly rod.

I started exploring this area a few months back for the sole purpose of finding some carp near me. I just moved out of Raleigh and my favorite spots are all now at least an hour away. The river appeared to have been capable of supporting big carp with plenty of clams, crayfish and other high protein quality forage. Despite the right environment I could find no carp activity for a good 3.5 mile range. Not a big deal, I made due with the readily available species that were very receptive to my fly selection. Earlier this week i was not paying much attention to where I was walking and spooked a school of carp, a big school of BIG carp. As best I could tell starting at the low teens up into the mid twenty mark.
Needless to say I was back the next day with a plan and wow was it a great day. i brought my kayak on this day to haul my chair and gear to the spot and took the kayak over the layed down tree where the carp all ran to once spooked. Immediately I saw what had to be at least 30 channel catfish darting between the limbs in an orderly fashion like birds on a migration. My first thought was that the catfish were going to ruin my day by taking all my bait causing me to have to reel and release them and rebait my hook every 30 seconds which is not fun.

I got my baits in the water and before the second rod was rigged and setup I had my first carp on. A decent size but not one of the monsters I saw the day previous. After getting both rods out not more than thirty seconds my second fish was on. Played the fish for a few minutes if that and my other rod goes off. I lost the first fish by trying to tug him in quickly and lost the other because he ran under the snags.
To shorten the story i had two more double takes before i realized I didnt need two rods out today. I then proceded to catch carp after carp for two hours straight. No faster could I get my baits in the water there was a fish on my line. They werent even spooked by the leads splashing down in two feet of water on their heads.

I do not usually post my fishing reports, but today was special. A total of 13 carp on the bank and several lost due to hook pulls and double takes. I even caught one fish twice!
After the paddle there and 13 fish my arms were literally noodles so I left them biting also in hope that I wouldnt scare the school too bad if that hadnt already been done.

The true highlight however comes from one particular fish. My personal best carp was weighed in a sling and came to 19 lbs 3 oz.
While i did not have a sling and scale today, i did have a tape ruler. The fish came to 37 inches long and 26 inches in girth. Online fish weight calculators put this fish at 25.42 lbs. Either way give or take a few lbs this fish has just become my new pb.

All this taught me is that you dont always have to travel and fish popular venues for a special day of fishing. No prebaiting, no waiting. Just a kayak, two rods, a chair and a short session. This spot is literally 5 minutes from my new home and I hope to find this school and more like it after this weeks rain recedes from the river, who knows what else is swimming around in there.

Pics for enjoyment. The smaller one was my buddy who came back for seconds.
My big fish also has a unique scale so IF I can find him and hook him again I have an identifier.
Shorts Leg Crocodile Fisherman Fish
Crocodile Vertebrate Hat Crocodilia Fish

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet corn as a hookbait in company with oats/cream corn/molasses packbait.

Its my go to on new water with wild carp. Instant attraction is the reason. Wild carp cannot pass it up

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I don't carp fish but those are some monsters!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.