NC Angler Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will start this post by saying sorry for my rant, This past Dec. i had a fire and lost a lot of my tackle rods and reel, so i have started to buy new rods this week, I started at a tackle shop on hwy 70 in Kinston NC that most of you on this site will know, (i didnt put the name because i feel it will get removed if i do) but after spending over $400.00 dollars this week on rods i had 1 break this morning while fishing, i carried the rod and paper work back to the store to get them to replace it.(purchase this rod on Wed.) now this was the first time using this rod, well after talking to just about everyone in this store they told me i would have to sent it back to the manufacture, for goodness sake i just purchased the dang rod and just why cant they just give me another, needless to say i was not real happy and let them no it, what do you guys think? please give me some feed back and what would you do.

Thanks

Chris Sr

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
First, I am sorry to hear about your misfortune with the fire. As far as the store replacing the rod it really isn't up to them to do so however they do have that option should the choose. Most rods are manufactures warranty and have to go back to the factory. That said the two stores I purchase my gear from have always did an over the counter exchange with any rods I've broken. I wouldn't shop there any longer personally, but that's about all you can do.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive purchased a lot of rods over the years and have never had a problem with other company replacing them if they were only a day or 2 old, but trust me i will never every spend another dime with those folks.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
sucks for sure i had a rod and reel combo break recently as well. both broke within a week of each other. the local tackle shop said the same thing and wanted nothing to do with it. from now on i'm buying from larger stores like basspro and cabelas. I like to support the local guys but i want the customer service no questions asked of the big box stores more.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Lots of it has to do with the dealer, the sales rep, and company that makes the tackle. I've heard horror stories from others with same type problems. One guy had to leave his rod with the dealer and wait for the sales rep to show up and say if they can exchange. When he talked to me he said it had been 3 months and still no answer.

I just happen to know a tackle shop that does replace rods.

When you go to buy from dealers ask them their warranty program an how they handle things like this.

·
Registered
940 Posts
To start.. I work for Dicks Sporting Goods. When any customer purchases most items, they can be returned with receipt for a full refund within a reasonable time period for any reason. Dicks also offers a warranty program on most items that will replace or give equal value towards a new purchase (you do have to contact the warranty service center). As catfish said, customer service...

I would think most stores would at least just do an exchange or give in store credit. Sorry for your troubles.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
There was a time, many years ago, that the store you're talking about offered good customer service. Then again nearly every retailer offered good customer service back then. Today they make much more off the transient customer than they do the return customers. You can be certain that the owners are weighing customer service against the cost of providing that service. Whatever results in the better bottom line wins out. It's just business, not very realistic to expect more ,though I wish we could.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I had a bad experience with the store you mentioned. They only care about bringing in the bucks and dont seem to care if you come back or not. I was very dissappointed in their lack of caring. Try my best not to shop there.

Reactions: RouseD and c.lane

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my son buys rods from Dicks and has 1 rod break and he returned for another with no problems.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I had a bad experience with the store you mentioned. They only care about bringing in the bucks and dont seem to care if you come back or not. I was very dissappointed in their lack of caring. Try my best not to shop there.
I think that is the place your cooler seat was heisted....:) See no return policy.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Some retailers are great, some are far less than stellar. Gander Mtn hasn't impressed me with that Summit Protection Plan jibber jabber. I've purchased the plan several times on several products. They told me that if the product screws up, it'll be replaced. This didn't happen. I got the run around and never got the combo replaced. (It was used twice) I didn't pitch a fit but I vowed to never forget this incident. As far as your situation goes, the retailer is in full control in most scenarios of how to handle a customer. I deal with people all day, everyday. Some retailers will replace it because they care about your business. Some won't until they've gotten confirmation that they'll get credit from the manufacturer so they won't lose any money on the deal. Either way makes sense to some degree. As long as they'll replace it at some reasonable time frame. Good luck

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I hate to hear this. I have made special trips to that place just to spend hard earned dollars rather than use mail order big box stores. Ive never had to return anything but knowing this, I will be hesitant to spend there again. That isn't some little mom n pop operation, they should be able to handle that return and if need be absorb the expense of waiting and dealing with their supplier as well. If they cant do that they need to close their doors. Greed is playing more and more of a factor these days.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I work in retail... Granted not sporting goods but it all works the same. Some companies/manufactures give the retailer authorization to return products in "good faith" and will always reimburse the retailer. Others require (possibly what you ran into) a bunch of mumbo jumbo/paperwork/jumping through hoops that smaller retailers don't want anything to do with, your larger store will have people who only deal with returns/damaged products, etc. However! You should be informed upon purchase what the return policy for that store is!

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Very familiar with that store. Stop there all the time on the way to the coast. Guess I'll have to detour to Goldsboro!

I bought a nice Shimano Sahara as a gift to another Red X'r who lives at the coast. Bought it at the Concord Mills Academy Sporting Goods store. He had problems with it and shipped it back to me. Some three weeks after he'd originally gotten it, they replaced it, no questions asked. Treat your customer's right and you'll always have right many customers!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Lots of it has to do with the dealer, the sales rep, and company that makes the tackle. I've heard horror stories from others with same type problems. One guy had to leave his rod with the dealer and wait for the sales rep to show up and say if they can exchange. When he talked to me he said it had been 3 months and still no answer.

I just happen to know a tackle shop that does replace rods.

When you go to buy from dealers ask them their warranty program an how they handle things like this.
I think i know what shop your talking about..................

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Greed is playing more and more of a factor these days.

I don't think it has anything to do with greed. It's a simple store policy. The manufacturer warranties the rod so why would or should the seller warranty the rod?
Fishing tackle is much different that it was 2 or 3 decades ago. It's a lot more expensive.
If you do it for this guy, then you have to do it for all those other guys over there with broken rods.

A smaller store may fair better at making a rod good simply because he doesn't have the volume.
Big box stores are selling enough in brick and mortar as well as online to make it up in a matter of seconds in a nationwide chain.

I just think this particular shop falls in the middle somewhere. He has HIGH overhead. So now he should dispatch an employee for whatever time it takes to hopefully recoup the money he just let walk out the door. The customer didn't pay and the supplier hasn't paid.
I can only imagine how many broken rods come back in their door 6 months out of a year, especially with their location.

I don't know the people, rarely shop there.....I was just in the tackle business once a long time ago. A time when I had a direct line to my supplier if there was a problem. I doubt seriously there are many direct lines today. They have to go through the same Customer Service channels you or I would. Much of that small mom and pop fishing supply stuff has dried up and gone.

It's a different business climate then it used to be. Business is handled a different way.
Chalk it up to progress in a world where you are competing against the much larger chain outfits. Time is more money than it used to be.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If I buy a cheap rod I expect to toss it when it breaks, but for high $$ I expect some quick satisfaction if I have an issue especially right away. Same goes for anything else I buy. If I buy a $12 drill at Harbor frieght, I expect it to fail and know I may get home with a dud and for that price I will risk it. But if I buy a Makita, and I use it a week and it fails I better walk into Lowes, Home depot, Ace hardware or anyone else who sells it to me with it and walk out with another or I can assure you I have not only bought my last, I've bought my last anything at that location unless I am in a situation where I must do it.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
If I buy a cheap rod I expect to toss it when it breaks, but for high $$ I expect some quick satisfaction if I have an issue especially right away. Same goes for anything else I buy. If I buy a $12 drill at Harbor frieght, I expect it to fail and know I may get home with a dud and for that price I will risk it. But if I buy a Makita, and I use it a week and it fails I better walk into Lowes, Home depot, Ace hardware or anyone else who sells it to me with it and walk out with another or I can assure you I have not only bought my last, I've bought my last anything at that location unless I am in a situation where I must do it.
Shop big box then.
If I was in the tackle business TODAY, at his volume in his location, I would have the same policy. The rod has a warranty, just not a store warranty. Too much overhead to let it walk out the door with no till.

Simply saying, I can see both sides.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.