NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Anglers,
Our brothers in the Upper Midwest need our support on a bill that was passed as an add-on to another. This bill was NOT passed using the NORMAL process and NONE of the anglers ever got to comment on it or take any other actions. Basically this bill added another season to the already establish one for Musky. It will allow fishing during the spawn. As we all know, fishing during this time can destroy the species or at least have a adverse effect on it. I know many of you have never fished for a Muskie but I have and it is amazing. I also watch Wisconsin’s Waters and Woods every Saturday on Direct TV channel 640. That is how I found out about this.

Regardless if you have or have not traveled out of state to fish you know that as a group we should support our brethren elsewhere to help preserve our sport for not only us but future generations. This bill could also effect the livelihood of many guides and resort operators.

Here is a capsule of the bill:

Out of state people might be best to directly contact the Governer of Wisconsin : http://www.wisgov.state.wi.us/section.asp?linkid=59&locid=19

This is from the 2007 Wisconsin Act 20, 2007 Senate Bill 40:(http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lfb/2007-09budget/Veto/veto.pdf)

ITEM B-5. MUSKELLUNGE FISHING SEASON AND CATCH AND RELEASE BASS
FISHING
Act 20 requires DNR to hold an annual catch and release muskellunge season in the area
comprised of Wisconsin inland waters north of U.S. highway 10 (excluding Wisconsin-Michigan
boundary waters) beginning on the opening day of the general game-fishing season determined
by DNR (generally the first Saturday in May) and concluding the day prior to the day the DNR
established muskellunge fishing season begins. As passed by the Legislature, Senate Bill 40
would specify that no person may use any hooks, baits or lures, other than artificial lures with
barbless hooks while fishing "during" the catch and release muskellunge or bass fishing seasons
established by DNR. The Governor's partial veto deletes the word "during" from these
provisions. The intent of the veto is to clarify that artificial lures and barbless hooks must be
used only while fishing for bass or muskellunge during a designated catch and release season
(rather than for any species during these seasons).

Thank you for your support of our sport fellas! I know our brothers will appreciate your efforts.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
NONE of the anglers ever got to comment on it
:confused: What were they TRYING to accomplish with this bill? This additional season is catch-and-release only, so it can't have been created to benefit the commercial muskie industry... It seems that recreational anglers are the only ones it could possibly benefit - even if the benefit is short-sighted...

Somebody was trying to accomplish something when they tacked this rider onto its host bill... Just can't figure out what...

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I don't think that I understand what folks are upset about, other than there wasn't a hearing on the matter. The bill clearly established a catch & release (No Take) season and limits the metyhod of fishing to artificial baits with barbless hooks. :confused:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A guide is the one from who I received information on this bill. They are upset for a couple reasons, please allow me to explain.

1. Most importantly this added season, even though it is C&R, occurs in the middle of the annual spawn. The added pressure on the fish during this period could be detrimental to the species in the long run by not allowing the spawn to take place uninterrupted as in the past.

2. It was attached to a bill without the local sportsman, including guides, having any say or review of it. A politician attached it without due process by the state game and fish resources nprmal involvement.

The guides are concerned with preserving their normal seasonal livelihood by ensuring a good spawn, not trying to drum up more business. I have fished this species and trust me it is well worth preserving.

Hope this clarifies any dark areas for you guys. All they would like to know is that sportsman who have or one day may wish to fish that area are concerned for the species and that when they do make the trip have something worth making the trip for.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Why did the politician attach the rider? Was it just so he could fish in the springtime? Usually there's more to it than that...

I'm not trying to make light of a violation of due process, or of the impact that this fishing pressure would have... It just seems like there ought to be more to the story than this guy wanting to spend another few days on the lake...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Tons of stuff get attached to bills that we never hear about. A lot of times the Gov't not passing a bill etc... ends up being due to junk that was attached, trying to "sneak" it in.... One of those loopholes some take advantage of.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Yeah, drop, I've hated that practice for a long time. I'll just attach a raises-for-senators rider to the raises-for-teachers bill and then whichever way you vote for it, sling it back at you at re-election time.

It's possible this was just a booby-trap somehow -- "Senator So-and-So voted for this bill that destroyed our Muskie population!"

<shrug> Who knows....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.