NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a forum search on "aerator" but didn't cough up what I was looking for. I'm thinking about taking one of those insulated orange water coolers and making a portable live bait bucket out of it. I've been looking at the Marine Metal Bubbles aerator... the one that takes a couple of D cell batteries and using it for my aeration. Just wanted to see if anyone has a better product recommendation or some helpful hints for putting this together. Thanks!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I use the bubble buddies cheapy from "Wally world" it runs many many hours on 2- cheap D cells and makes bunches of bubbles!! I even have used it on my aquarium at home when powers out.
You can fashion a hanger out of a piece of clothes hanger and 2 screws if theres no where to hang the pump clip out of the way of the handle.
What kind of minnows are you looking to keep alive...some do better with a means of filtration because they shed scales under stress.. Others, like bream are tough.!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
You should be fine then...with no filter.

Reactions: Shakespeare

·
Registered
608 Posts
Dont know if you found anything yet, but check out Longer Life Aerators. They are at Fishing Bait Kits - Longer Life Aeration Livewell. You can actually turn a ziplock bag into a live well with this thing. We didn't have too many problems with his products, and most dealers told me they sold well. We stocked several brands but this can turn almost anything that will hold water into a live well.

And he did have one of the orange insulated coolers hooked up at our tackle show.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont know if you found anything yet, but check out Longer Life Aerators.
Thanks!

I haven't purchased an aerator yet. I'll be heading through Morehead City and AB this Thurs and was planning on stopping by a couple of B&T's. I'll look for the Longer Life product. I like that concept... at least I wouldn't have to drill any holes in the cooler, not that I'm planning on drinking any Gatoraid out of it after using it for bait, but not having to alter anything is a plus! Great idea!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I 've used the Marine Metal Products Insulated buckets for several years now. I've also had other brands and they just don't seem to last. I prefer the Quiet Bubbles for obvious reasons and since I have fished from an aluminum boat. It's a good idea to use a round cooler. I found that baits like shad that are easily stressed survive better in round or oval containers. Insulation also keeps the bait cooler, and reduces stress as well. Marine Metal's Bubble Tops is an inexpensive way to convert a 5 gallon bucket to a bait aerator and you can find them at Wal-mart.
Cabela's -- Marine Metal Products Bubble Top Aerator

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I have used Bubbles for years. But I have found a better one. It is a brand called Baker. It is black, and K-Mart is the only place I have seen them. It blows Bubbles away. It is completely sealed up waterproof, pumps harder than Bubbles, and lasts longer on batteries than Bubbles. It retails for $9.99.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I'm gonna have to go by the old Big K and check that out. Big Lots also was selling insulated 5 gallon Coca-Cola buckets this summer. Don't know if they have any of them left over but I might go check.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.