NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to the river to fish for my first time, I found a dam on google maps nearby where I live on the Cape Fear River. It's off of 42 on Buckhorn Rd. I have done as much research as possible on this website, but I would really like some pointers. I have a jon boat with a troller motor, and a fish finder that's all.. Me and a buddy are going to try to fish around the dam. I guess the questions I have is, what type of fish should we try fishing for, what bait should we use, how deep are the fish in this area and is this even a good spot for my jon boat or a first time river fishing experience? I can go as far as lillington and that's about it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You can catch most all kinds of fish behind the dam. The water is pretty shallow. You can wade across the river and not get your wallet wet. I have fished it with a jon boat a couple of times with no problems other than the paint knocked off the motor and a crooked shaft or two. If you go too far down river it will be tough to make it back up with a trolling motor because the deeper part has the most current too.
For your first trip to the river you might want to put in above the dam and fish that part. There is a wildlife boat ramp 3 or 4 miles further down 42 hwy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not real sure how it works, but, would the current push you down the dam if you're behind it? And what fish would be best at this time of year? Catfish, striped bass, or largemouth? I might just try at the wildlife boat ramp, but last time I went by there the place looked really trashed so i didn't know how many fish would be there. Thanks for the help so far

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have put in at the wildlife ramp there many times. The catfishing, crappie, and bass are all there. For crappy I would recommend the creek downstream of the ramp on your right. If you go to the ramp you will not be pushed over but you can go over. Just dont get too close and you have nothing to worry about. There is a deeper part between the creek and the dam that has good catfishing. There is a large sign marking where the dam is but there are no bouys. Your jon boat will do fine in that part of the river. I have a jon and go there all the time. If your only running a TM make sure your battery is good and charged. As long as the current is not strong like after a long hard rain you will be fine. You can check the current at the USGS website. Most of the time above the dam is like a lake and there is very little current.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If you put in at the wildlife ramp you should be able to catch some crappie (and maybe a bass or two) around the trees and logs laying in the river. Take a bucket of minnows, a box of #4 gold hooks and a few corks and you will catch some.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.