NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to the Buckhorn Reservoir in Wilson NC but do not know where to fish. Where is a good area in the lake to take a kid out on the boat and fish with crickets for anything that will bite or for bass fishing? I mainly fish saltwater and I have only been to this small lake once, but it is a very nice area.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Buckhorn is like a 9 hole golf course. It's for the people who think they're all hardcore and have the money to act like it, and want to pretend they're the fat guy from Fishing University on Vs, but it isn't really anything to write home about.

When it comes to Buckhorn, just use normal fishing logic. Like looking for the little "bays" and tree stumps, grass, all that sort of thing. There's no trick to Buckhorn that isn't a trick on any other lake.

Don't let me get you down on Buckhorn, you might like it. It's just that there's no real WOW fishing in Wilson and it bugs me to have to drive....... a lot, if I want to fish anything decent. If you happen to be in Wilson, I've actually found it to be more fun to go over to Wiggins Mill Reservoir, where they rent boats for $20 all day and catch the same if not better fish in the same if not better conditions. It's also a much better option for those of us who don't want to drive the 30 min out of the way to Buckhorn and catch guppies.

Reactions: jparker812

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey man, i've been fishing buckhorn since i was old enough to hold a pole, i agree, Wiggins mill is a good place to fish but you can't use a gas motor there,makes it kinda hard on a windy day!!!! anyway, back to the fishing, what people call the eagles nest, which is taking a right from the boat ramp and going to the only standing tree in the water,is a good place to start, its avarage 4 to 7 ft deep. i've landed many over 5 lbs on either shallow diving stick baits, or brown and orange worm. best luck on the work is simply drifting from the tree to the right side bank.Now if you head straight from the ramp you'll see the shallow barrels in the water marking the edge of the channel for you, it goes from 2ft to 20 ft there and is always holding bass.like bc said it is like anywhere else your points, and brush, but there are quite a few big 'uns to catch there. headed straight from the ramp is a road that goes under the water and out the other side, thats a 7 ft flat there too which can produce decent size fish, buckhorn has its share of blackfish or(dogfish) and jacks or(chain pikeral) too. hope this helps, have more if ya need it!!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks denofiredog, I was about to give up on getting some info. I left to go there sunday and when I got there it was so windy I didn't even put the boat in. I have a kid that wants to go so if using crickets how deep should I run the bait from the float? are there any big cats in the lake? Have you fished next to the dam wall?

·
Registered
15 Posts
the dam is only a few years old and 50 % of the water close by is very shallow, to the right side of the dam the wall usually holds a few fish because of the slope of the bank,nice bass spot!! as for the crickets, i haven't fished with those in a long time but, i would say stay in the shallows( by the way, bank fishing is free there to) didn't know if you knew that, but stay in the shallows, up to about 6 to 8 ft running the bobber around 2 to 2 1/2, usually deadly. for a kid, if you were to leave the ramp and stay toward the old road(pretty much straight away from the ramp) the first cove you see to the right,hidrilla all around the bank, you can catch all the crappie you want, not all keepers but the kids will have a ball. pretty good around the eagles nest too. and for the cats, its been a while since i fished for cats there, used to love chicken livers and the biggest i've ever heard come out of there was 15 to 18 lbs, i'm sure they're bigger but you can only fish from the bank for cats now at night 10 years ago you stay on the water all night so good luck and i hope this helps, i'll prob be in there quite a few times in the next few weeks so i post some pix and tell you where to get em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.