NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any luck at buckhorn for nice size cats? Im not talking about 1-5 lbers, im talking about descent trophy fish. i dont know ANYTHING about the lake. I didnt even know it existed until today. All i know is that its near wilson. Anybody help me out on whether or not id'e be wasting me time, and if not, where are some of the good spots for cats??? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I dont know about Buckhorn but I know that Cape Fear River, NC is featured one of the best catfishin places in U.S in "Outdoor Life" Magazine!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm aware of that. I fish the cape all the time. I wanted to know about buckhorn b/c its close to me. Anybody catchn cats out there?

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Fran or Floyd busted the dam in the 90's. Lake was completely dry. I remember reading something about it, and the process of building a "new lake".

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dont think the lake was dry. From what I heard the city of wilson dug out the lake to make it bigger. They said it would take years to fill, but floyd came and filled it. I once caught a 10 pound catfish out of their on a chicken liver. I usually fish their for crappie and bass though.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
never busted, they put the new dam just down from the old dam and flooded the old lake with a bigger lake......bunn lake upstream got busted in floyd?.............mack

·
Registered
357 Posts
If I am not mistaken, I read that below Buckhorn dam is great fishing for Flatties right now. If that is the dam I was reading about, they are hitting live bream really good there right now. Might be the same scenario with other dams such as Milburnie dam, where they are cats below the dam and down stream, but they can't be found above the dam.

This info came from a thread on a catfishing forum (catfish1.com), much like this one, but just for catfishing.

CatSlayer715, I just looked at the forum to see if I could find the thread and apparently you already post on catfish1, so maybe you have seen the thread I mentioned.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have fished Buckhorn several times this past year and I have yet to figure out where the fish are. I have only caught very small white bass, 3 largemouth, and small crappie. From what I have seen there is very little structure in that lake. I wish someone would tell me where the fish are! It's close to home and thats why I go there. I have seen some post about catfishing in this lake so do a search using the word buckhorn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
new to the site and came upon this thread and going throw in my 2 cents....

me personally buckhorn is a great lake ive spent alot of time fishing it and have produced many great sized fish...once you learn the lake and find the fish it gets easier of course but for bass in spawn time stay at the upper end of the lake in the 4 foot shallows with spinners and texas rig worms/lizards into the summer get you drop off points and many submerged road beds....you can get a topo map of the lake at the boat ramp station...

now for catfish its trickier because the lake is closed at night time but there are accessible spots that you can legally fish after dark givin they arent the best places but fish can be caught there....bait you wana go with FRESH cut bait or small brem and shad easily caught with a cast net...never had much luck with livers or any stink baits...mainly blues and channels caught but have pulled some nice flat heads out...picture enclosed was one night had 3 blues 10-15 pounds lost a giant flat when the hooks pulled at the bank...and i probably had 10 or more small 1-5lb range cats.. and one 4lb bass that wanted a late night cut bait dinner

just info from personal exp.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've fished buckhorn right much, more for crappie and it produces a lot of small ones, but I've caught a few 2lbers out of there. As far as catfish goes, I've never caught any. Never really fished for them. A friend of mine said he'd rather fish the creek then the lake for them.

The thing I like about Buckhorn is that you can fish the old road beds, also the dropoffs are quick. You can be fishing in 5ft of water, move 5 ft and be in 20ft of water. The bad thing is, not many coves to hide from the wind and the channel runs right in the middle of the Lake (normally right in the middle of the wind).

·
Registered
256 Posts
I dont think the lake was dry. From what I heard the city of wilson dug out the lake to make it bigger. They said it would take years to fill, but floyd came and filled it. I once caught a 10 pound catfish out of their on a chicken liver. I usually fish their for crappie and bass though.

you are correct!!!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
99.9 percent sure they never dug out this lake..if they did they would of hadto put a barge in there as lake was never dry to dig it out.......bigger dam was put in right smack below old dam and water from bigger dam flooded old dam......bunn lake upstream(actaully mocasin creek ) was dry for a few years untill its dam was fixed........used to fish it alot until new dam was put in....only fished it once sice then.....liked the old lake better.......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Fran or Floyd busted the dam in the 90's. Lake was completely dry. I remember reading something about it, and the process of building a "new lake".
I live there my family was there when it was just the 2 creeks before the reservoir all 2gether. When it busted it was just the creeks running through there are no monster catfish that I've ever seen or heard of but I still catch keeper and eating size cats mostly on the fallside of the dam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts