NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

Things have slowed down some and I am trying to catch up on tying bucktails for next season.:confused:

I have a question that I would like to toss out to everyone; whick would you ( your own perference perfer) natural hand tyied bucktail or silcone skirt?

All input is greatly honored.
Thank you

Fishtracer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everybody!

Things have slowed down some and I am trying to catch up on tying bucktails for next season.:confused:

I have a question that I would like to toss out to everyone; whick would you ( your own perference perfer) natural hand tyied bucktail or silcone skirt?

All input is greatly honored.
Thank you

Fishtracer
The naturals seem to work for me. I have used the hair from my white German Shepard. Caught a few flounder.:D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Naturals seem to streamline better in the water. I dont know if it makes a difference but the look better to me.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Only harvested one deer this season and my bad... forgot to offer up the tail (like I normally do each season..) ...

My hunting season is affectively over... so I wont be able to provide any free deer tails this year.... sorry.. :( Otherwise you'd be welcome to them for jig tyin...

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Glad you got at least one deer before your season ended. Guess the freezer will be a little lighter than last year but at least you got some meat. I don't hunt my some of my fishing buddies down here that do gave me a good deal of meat this year. I have about 70 pounds of sausages, ground meat and stew meet in the freezer :) But I didn't get any bucktails either this year.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Yeah, what meat I have is going to Fla. Momma's makin a venison neck roast and I'm planning to share about 15 lbs of breakfast sausage with Pop :) figure.. nibble some summer sausage and sippin on some egg nog... should be a trip I'll need to "work off" when I get back.

Oh well.. what can I say.. work got me this year... glad I'm headin south... get away from WORK for at least a few weeks.

Dang.. 70 lbs,, that's one whole doe carcass weight!!! mighty generous buddy there! ;) I usually dontate enough meat for 8-10 families each year.. this will be the first year I plan to "hog" this harvest... :)

Season ends Jan 01, but I wont be back till sometime after the 5th... so yup... I'm pretty much done. Workin this weekend (AGAIN) and have to pack up starting Tues after work.. just not enough time to hit the woods. :mad: (we'll get'm next season!) ;)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Dang.. 70 lbs,, that's one whole doe carcass weight!!! mighty generous buddy there! ;) I usually dontate enough meat for 8-10 families each year.. this will be the first year I plan to "hog" this harvest... :)
Actually came from two different hunters. They both have now used all there tags except the last one (saving it for another trophy deer). They have had a good season.

I appreciated the meat you gave me last year!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I prefer the natural too and the way I tie them it puts a flair in the hair.

When it is worked it looks like a small squid in the water.

The price of the tail have gone from $3.39 ea. to $5.50 I hate to raise my price up to $3.50 ea. to just cover the cost of the hair!

I am experminting with a new type of silicone material.

Fishtracer

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sounds crazy, but how about a dog groomer. How does dog hair hold up in the water? Ive seen the funny video with the Shi Tzu hair but I wondered if you could do that? I have played abound with human hair on crappie jigs but color is not very good

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
i have gotten 5 my self but i aint waitin for a trophy as i have been a might ummm BUZY :D lately...

zooker
Zooks been after the most dangerous of all prey... The ferocious 2 LEGGED DEAR!!!!!!! :eek: LOL!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I use synthetic costume wigs for bucktails. After Halloween you could get any color imagined CHEAP. A ladies synthetic platinum blond wig will yield many bucktails and flies. When a fellow buys a ladies wig, it can get interesting sometimes.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Sounds crazy, but how about a dog groomer. How does dog hair hold up in the water? Ive seen the funny video with the Shi Tzu hair but I wondered if you could do that? I have played abound with human hair on crappie jigs but color is not very good
I know folks that have tried dog hair (including me in a limited experiment). It doesn't work any where near as well as deer tail. It mats up real bad and it doesn't "blow out" when jigged. The hair is thinner and the air pocket inside the hair is much smaller. I wish it worked as I have a HUGE supply with two long haired dogs in the house.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
When a fellow buys a ladies wig, it can get interesting sometimes.
Wow... I never would've expected Forrest to be one of those!!!! :eek::D

Now we know the rest of the story.... :p

Drop, I'd definately say that deer hair (especially the tail) is courser and firmer/stiffer than puppy hair (unless you get into the larger breed of dogs - ie.. Shepards). Anytime you want to shave my dogs tail... bring it! :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
deer hair is hollow unlike alot of other kinds of hair.. a deer can and will float-even with a big hole in them-this natural floation in water is what makes the buck tail a killer bait to use..

i think i have about 25-30 i aint used in YEARS..

zooker

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.