NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an inexpensive cooler bag to use for kayak fishing. I'd like it to pack flat so it doesn't take up much room when I'm not using it. I need something between 24-30" long. I've been cruising Amazon and other sites but I'm not coming up with anything that I think will work.

I would like to have a purpose built fish bag but sadly I wouldn't get enough use out it to justify the expense.

Do any of you guys have something you're using that was $35 or less?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew that had a popular topic here but I'm terrible with the search function. You don't happen to have a link to a tutorial for that do you? :D

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I just searched for "fish bags" because I was in the last thread and knew it was there. The $30 one someone linked is the best deal I have seen for a purpose made fish bag.

Sent from my phone with TapaTalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At $38 shipped that is a good deal and I doubt I could find anything that better suited my needs even it I never catch a fish big enough to actually fill it. :)

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I have the bag in the link. It is a very nice bag and would recommend it. When nothing is in it it is flat and takes up very little space. I only received it less than a week ago so I haven't had any fish in it yet but the reviews are great.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The one thing I worry about the purpose made bags is leakage. If you use bag ice and then stow it down in the pod, will you have a bunch of water in the pod at the end of the day? If it is a good day, it might be bloody, fishy water.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use an insulated grocery bag. It's not quite 24"x24"x10" but was only $9 at Sam's. Then line it with a plastic garbage bag to keep it from leaking or getting smelly. it will hold a bag of ice and 4-6 20" flounder. I am real cheap. :D

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
If you're a Sam's Club member check out their under $10 bag. They used to have a nylon cover, but something made out of recycled material now. For that price, you may want to consider it. The Winterville Sam's has them at the check outs.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
The leakage issue. The directions say to bleed the fish for 10 minutes before you put it in the bag. Also use frozen water bottles or ice packs instead of loose ice.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The leakage issue. The directions say to bleed the fish for 10 minutes before you put it in the bag. Also use frozen water bottles or ice packs instead of loose ice.
I am not sure I would do that with a big fish off shore. Cut and drain maybe a minute and then I would worry about attracting sharks. Maybe a combination of the frozen bottles and garbage bag ideas. Another thought is getting one of those cheap dry bags to put bag ice in so you don't have to freeze bottles the night before you go.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not sure I would do that with a big fish off shore. Cut and drain maybe a minute and then I would worry about attracting sharks. Maybe a combination of the frozen bottles and garbage bag ideas. Another thought is getting one of those cheap dry bags to put bag ice in so you don't have to freeze bottles the night before you go.

I always freeze a few small and large bottles beforehand anyway. They seem to last longer than bagged ice and if I'm out longer than planned I can drink them too.

The only time I would really need the bag would be at Ft. Fisher since I usually spend more time away from my vehicle there than most anywhere else I fish. But it would nice to have at other places as well for the instances where you catch a fish right out of the gate.

No offshore fishing for me, maybe when I get a new yak, but I'll also need a VHF radio which I doubt I'd ever spend the money on since I would only use it about twice a year at most.

If you're going to bleed the fish before you put it in the bag why not go ahead and gut it? On most everything except flounder it wouldn't take that much more time to do and you would still be able to prove the fish was legal size.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts