NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll, I'm looking to buy a bass rod in the $50 range. Usually I fish ugly sticks because I tend to use my rods for a little bit of everything and I am very rough on them. I really want something that is a lot more sensative to use for fishing for Stripers this weekend and then for bass the rest of the year. Looking in the 7' range, maybe Mor MH fast action. Any suggestions? I was looking at the Abu Garcia Vengeance but I read several reviews on their website that said their rods broke at the third I when casting. I need it by friday so ordering rods is out of the question so I'm stuck with Walmart, Springhill outfitters, Dicks, or possibly Bass Pro.

·
Registered
639 Posts
http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/pro...lmdn=Brand&cp=4406646.4413993.4414792.4414795

I highly recommend the Field and Stream Tec-Spec Black. I love mine. I've got the 7' MHF paired with a Penn Fierce 4000 with 30 lb Power Pro and I use it everywhere. Fresh and salt. I can feel every little nibble. I use it wacky rigging for bass year round and literally can feel every time the lure is even looked at. Also use it for dragging jig heads for flounder and can feel even when I pick up a leaf or piece of grass. It's light but still has plenty of backbone. My only complaint is they don't make anything longer than 7'.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I would buy a Berkley lightning rod or a Cherrywood HD before I touched an Ugly stik .

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been considering the BPS Tourney special, what is the difference as far as functionality between it and the graphite series? I'm planning on going to get one tonight and I'm between driving to Cary and getting a BPS rod or Gander Mountain for a guide series rod. $50 is really all I can budget for a rod now, (trying to save for a SOT kayak) and it looks like the store brand rods are the best in this price range.

I never liked the Cherry Wood rods but I have heard good things about the lightning. As far as ugly stiks, most of my rods have traditionally pulled double duty as blackfish rods. I've landed 10# blackfish on my ugly stiks no problem, and I would NEVER attempt that with most other cheaper rods. To be honest, I have owned dozens of cheap bass rods over the years and the only ones I still have are my ugly stiks. None of the others can stand up to my abuse and quick runs of a blackfish. I've also caught hundreds of bass on them. I genuinely like them. I use strictly braid on them to maintain sensitivity, because I have noticed with mono how you can't feel a thing. I can finally start specializing my rods and reels so sensitivity is becoming much more important to me, but still, there is a lot of value in an unbreakable rod in my opinion.

EDIT: I actually caught 11 short specks on a 7' ugly stik a few weeks back, so that speaks a little bit to the sensitivity when you pair it with braid.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
tourney special: EVA grips, split grip for better balance and less weight, IM7 Graphite, stainless guides, hook keeper,
graphite series: one piece cork handle, IM6 Graphite, alloy guides, no hook keeper.

if you can get down to the coast and get that mojo for $50 do it in a heartbeat

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a St Croix Mojo Bass rod. I bought it off of eBay as part of a combo with a Stradic reel and never liked the action of the rod for what I wanted it for. If you can make it to New Bern/Morehead City area you can have it for $50.
I wish I could! Unfortunately I don't think I will be down that way anytime soon.

NCStatefisher, thanks!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Hey ya'll, I'm looking to buy a bass rod in the $50 range. Usually I fish ugly sticks because I tend to use my rods for a little bit of everything and I am very rough on them. I really want something that is a lot more sensative to use for fishing for Stripers this weekend and then for bass the rest of the year. Looking in the 7' range, maybe Mor MH fast action. Any suggestions? I was looking at the Abu Garcia Vengeance but I read several reviews on their website that said their rods broke at the third I when casting. I need it by friday so ordering rods is out of the question so I'm stuck with Walmart, Springhill outfitters, Dicks, or possibly Bass Pro.

Take online reviews with a grain of salt. Some of the best products I've bought had some poor reviews. Reviews from people suffering from operator error syndrome. Especially with electronics.

It's a graphite rod. Not everybody can handle graphite. You have to take care of it. You also can't exceed lure weight. If you let one roll around in the back of the truck instead of letting it ride in the cab of the truck and you don't give a flip about what the lure weight is, you are guaranteed it will break. Graphite rods are not, scratch, scuff, and fish rods. I love a graphite rod. They are sensitive as well as strong but you gotta treat em like your youngins instead of the inlaws.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I don't like the cherrywood but the Cherrywood HD has a totally different fell. I haven't fished one, just played with it in the store. Thus my suggestion for "cheap" . That MOJO is a deal !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.