NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new spinning reel for inshore fishing. I currently have a Shimano Sedona 4000FD that I like very much and it's holding up well. Before I bought another I wanted to know if there is another reel out there that is better than the Sedona for the same price? No more than I use these reels $60 is my max budget. Thanks.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I love Shimano. I too stay in that price range most of the time and my reels see double duty fresh and salt. What species do you target. My reels are mostly 2500 and 4000 I also have a Sienna 2500 I use a lot and they are only $30 but mine has done as well as the Sedonas. I also like the Okuma Trio if you can catch one on sale (normally around $79 off sale) and the Okuma Avenger is a pretty nice reel for the price as well. (around $40)

Reactions: sandbar

·
Registered
969 Posts
Pretty sure Bread Man 1 posted that he used avocet silvers in the 2000 series so I got one two seasons ago and it's still what I use from the yak. Thinking I gave around $30 for it. Stepping down from the sedona might have you scratching your head though.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Im pretty sure you can find Penn Pursuit combos for that money.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love Shimano. I too stay in that price range most of the time and my reels see double duty fresh and salt. What species do you target. My reels are mostly 2500 and 4000 I also have a Sienna 2500 I use a lot and they are only $30 but mine has done as well as the Sedonas. I also like the Okuma Trio if you can catch one on sale (normally around $79 off sale) and the Okuma Avenger is a pretty nice reel for the price as well. (around $40)
I have a Sedona 4000 & 2500 and a Sahara 4000 which is the one I'm replacing. I use the 2500 for trout and the 4000 for reds and bottom fishing. I hadn't thought of Okuma, the 2500 I have is on an Okuma rod and I really like it. I will look into those and see what I can find. I'm very happy with the Sedona but didn't want to miss something better if there's something out there for the same price.

·
Red X Angler
11,228 Posts
Ditto all of the above Shimano or Penn they stand up well to the salt. Pappadave has an Okuma model that he has gotten good service out of, but my Trio starts to show signs of impending corrosion within a couple of days of leaving Bay River if I don't completely disassemble, clean and lube when i get home.

Darrell

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the Trio. I was considering that one but I don't always have to time to thoroughly clean my reels right after fishing but I do make sure to rinse them immediately after a day on the water.

·
Red X Angler
11,228 Posts
Welcome I used to fish down that way some years ago, my grandma lived in Jackson Pines. We used to fish the Sandhills Furniture Company pond at a recreational area the they had set up for employees and the community. I have looked on Google map I don't think it is there anymore.

If you ever want to venture out this way let me know.

Good luck with the new yak.

Darrell

·
Registered
197 Posts
Forgot to add that I like the epixor a lot better than my penn fierce and pflueger president. I have not tried the cheaper shimanos.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I've had an Okuma Avenger A which has stood up to 4 years fishing everything from crappie & smallmouth to upper slot drum, it rarely stays at home and it's still doing the job well. They don't make the "A"s anymore and the "B"s don't look as solid so I've moved to the Lew's Speed Spins. They are smooth reels with very consistent drags. They've held up well for a year of fishing, just have to wait and see how they do in the long run.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I absolutely love my Lews High Speed Speed Spin! Will probably be the only reel for me from now on!

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
940 Posts
I absolutely love my Lews High Speed Speed Spin! Will probably be the only reel for me from now on!

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro
Don't use the carbon fire (lower end lews spin) in the salt. mine is grinding after a few uses. Again Penn and Shimano are the ones that consistently provide performance.

Reactions: sundrop
1 - 17 of 17 Posts