NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting eaten alive out there lately.
Anyone have a favorite bug spray?
Also, tips or thoughts on keeping it off your line and lures? Does it make a difference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
DEET is the only thing that works for me; Deep Woods Off or whatever, but the Skin So Soft and other less scary (jury is out on whether DEET really is) stuff just doesn't work for me. I just make fists to keep it off my finger tips and palm. As long as you don't rub before it is dry, it doesn't seem to matter IME. But I primarily fish artificials and smell/taste is secondary.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
DEET is the only thing that works for me; Deep Woods Off or whatever, but the Skin So Soft and other less scary (jury is out on whether DEET really is) stuff just doesn't work for me.
For some with skin conditions DEET is a real irritant. My Father has Rosacea and can't use anything with DEET. The Skin so Soft brands have worked for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I'm going to give skeeter beater a shot first and then skin so soft. I have been using deep woods, maybe just not enough or maybe its old.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm going to give skeeter beater a shot first and then skin so soft. I have been using deep woods, maybe just not enough or maybe its old.
Probably old. There are reasons not to use DEET, but "not working" isn't one of them. It gets in your system and it keeps bugs away. That is pretty well established; it will keep bugs away from dead animals. But if it causes you problems from being in your system, then you need something else.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Guys in LA, Cajun Fishing Adventures, use Autumn Romance by Victoria's Secret The Spray works better than the lotion. I could only get the lotion. You smell like you were at the "Mustang Ranch" but it keeps the bugs off. I had my wife buy it for me, so there would be no questions asked.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Guys in LA, Cajun Fishing Adventures, use Autumn Romance by Victoria's Secret The Spray works better than the lotion. I could only get the lotion. You smell like you were at the "Mustang Ranch" but it keeps the bugs off. I had my wife buy it for me, so there would be no questions asked.
You do realize this is a "fishing" thread.......:) but count me in.:D

·
Registered
657 Posts
Swamp Gator.. Tractor Supply and/or Home Depot. My wife is allergic to mosquito bites and Deet. It works...

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Get yourself a thermacell. Its a box about the size of a cordless phone that emits some kind of repellent into the air. My folks like sitting outside and mom is a mosquito magnet who has tried about everything. After seeing it recommended on numerous forums I got them one, it works better than anything else.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I got a thermacell for one of my bug hating kids (practically refuses to go outside sometimes). It woks pretty well for sitting in one spot in calm conditions; if we eat out on the deck it keeps bugs away from him and others near him.

I have to admit I have only tried a couple of the DEET alternatives. It's hard to try something else when that works and if you try something that doesn't you might end up with dengbolanile fever... :eek:

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
I know guy that soaks Cedar chips in water and just uses a spray bottle. Not sure how well it works, but he likes it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use a thermacell. Works amazing. I never use bug spray now unless its really windy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've got a Thermacell that works great if I'm not moving and there's no wind. I'm usually moving along with the trolling motor, so the Thermacell can't establish a "cloud" around me. It is great for grilling, but not so much for fishing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts