NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They headin to the backs of the creeks! Caught up to 40 nice keepers a day and had 3 that weighed over 2 pounds Sat! Titelining the upper ends of the creeks in 5-6fow 1 1/2 to 2 ft deep, jigs an minnows. Sent pics to KerrLake "Catch of the Day" Water was very stained but warmin from 46 up to the lo 50's Friday. Water temp stayed 48 all day Sat, but was our best day for better average sized fish.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
In other words I have read that but do not have years of experience to prove this theory right or wrong. However I would prefer to cast, rather than tightline crappie in less than 8 feet of water. I just can't see crappie hanging around long with a motorboat passing 2 feet over their heads. It must work tho. Good for you. I have no issue with how people catch crappie as long as they aren't using nets lol.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Crappie are a lot less spooky than you would think. I did a lot of spider rigging growing up on KY Lake and we regularly caught them doing so in 6 fow and less. You also have to take into consideration that you are getting your bait to the fish 10-16 feet before the boat even gets over them depending on your rod length and your trolling motor is on a pretty low setting most of the time.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've adjsuted my trollion motor shallow as it would work an caught crappie titelining, with 16ft rods, 1 ft deep in 18 inches of water. Yes, its also called spider riggin, you can use as many rods as ya like. I've done it with 4, seen it done with 12. thats just off the front, most run the same off the back. I also prefer to catch crappie casting, but found when fishing crappie tournaments that if ya didn't know how to troll with multiple rods, you were not competitive. I quit the tournaments a few yrs back but take out a lot of folks that want to learn the technique. I just purchased a bunch of shallow runnin plugs, in the crappie size, to learn how to catch these same fish I'm tagetin titelining, by castin. Got some #3Countdown Rapalas, some small X Raps, Husky Jerks, small Berkley Flicker Shads an 1/8 oz Rat-l-traps. Also a few 1/16 oz an 1/8 oz crappie spinner baits. I'm thikin that if ya go at it like shallow bass fishin, ya mite be able to cover enuff water to pinpoint their location faster than trollin. I've read a lot about different folks that have had success doin so.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I got a buddy who is an avid crappie fisherman. One day last spring I fished the same area my buddy was crappie fishing, mostly 2 ft or less water. Between my buddy in his boat and his son in another boat, they caught some slabs, I dont recall their rods being longer than 8 or 10 ft.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Doc

I'm assuming you can only pull this off with very stained water. They won't let you float right over them in clearish water and still hit , right?

What are they relating to in the water column ---temps? Seems odd structure related crappie just hanging out just under the surface

·
Registered
660 Posts
Works in clear water too
12 to 16 ft of the front of the boat with enough weight a couple of feet above the jig to keep the line fairly vertical and the bait 10 feet or so in front of or off the side of the boat generates bites. The biggest problem is when you hit a school and have three of four on at the same time....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.