NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old boat that I am renovating and I am trying to build a livewell that will be sufficient enough to hold a limit of bass or some cats. My question is/are there any suggestions on the best results. A friend and I have a plan but the more I think about it I'm starting to question it's design.

I don't know if I posted this right, sorry if I didn't do it right.

All help is appreciated! Thanks

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Do you have a pic of the layout of the boat? What type/size?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The biggest consideration would be where to put it. One that holds 15 gal will weigh close to 130 lbs full and that much weight needs to be planned for. Depending on the boat you may need another battery and that is more to be planned for.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
You can always throw an aerator in a 96qt cooler. Just make sure you add/exchange some water from time to time to keep the temp down.

Reactions: wolfpackcpa

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is an old 15' sea squirt and it is set up as a salt water boat but the bait boxes in the back are too small. It only has a 25hp engine that jogs me across the water, but at least I can now get out there. When I first got it, a previous owner built it up to be a bass boat. I ripped out what they did but am going to put something similar in to fit my needs. I have built livewells for our jonboat tournament but didn't know if that would be the best way to go. I thought about building it up front, I don't think that the weight is going to matter extremely since I can't fly across the water anyway.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Keep the weight as centered/forward as you can to allow for engine/fuel weight. Trick to using smaller engines is to balance weight so you can keep the boat on plane at as low a speed as possible. Even consider a fresh coat of wax or paint to make the boat slick in the water...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was another point to put the livewell closer to the front. I'll try the waxin, and maybe I'll get through the water like a greased pig :D. I'm not worried about how fast it is so long as it floats.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If it is rigged as a center console how about right in front of the console? That would be fairly simple to wire and plumb and put the weight in the ideal location. You could mount a small storage box under a 72-100 qt cooler and put thru hull fittings in the back and bottom cooler for drains and an inlet. You could put lips on the top of the storage box tie the cooler down at the handles to the lip on the box .

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a side console but there is a small raised deck at the front and I thought about putting it right there (would be in front of the console). I think that the cooler will be the way to go though. That way I can take it out and clean it as needed. I like the idea of raising it up a little though, I'll have to take some measurements. We had planned on getting a bilge pump or two and using that to fill, circulate and drain. One of our problems was that you can never get all of the water out and didn't want it to get funky but as mentioned earlier, the cooler could come out. I wanted to keep/rebuild an extension on the front so it would be easier to bass fish.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The reason I mentioned raising it up was so the top drain recircultion line would be above the factory hole into the motor well. Not necessary but a heck of a lot easier. You might want to enlist a teenager of the right weight to ride in that spot while you check that 25 out with that much weight foward. she might tend to plow instead of getting on plane in rough water. I think you should be ok in calm water if you have the right prop.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had three adults ride in it many times and we do plow through the water but normally we are just trying to find a good catfish hole and I don't care how long it takes to get there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.