NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first point but I have been fishing Stone Mountain and the surrounding area for years (I am in my late 20’s) and have always been intrigued by Bullhead creek.

I have only fished it in its current state, which I quite enjoy as a wild trout stream. But I have read and heard of the large trout that roamed the stream when it was a pellet fed trophy stream.

Did anyone fish the stream in the 90’s or early 2000’s and catch anything noteworthy? Also, what led to the decline of the stream? Others have mentioned poaching in the stream but I have never found an official account of this.

Any responses or information is appreciated! And I am glad to be a part of this wonderful community

·
Registered
648 Posts
Welcome to NC Angler…you will find a wealth of information here. I camped and fished Stone Mountain Park in the late 80’s right through 1997. At that point I moved to the coast and focused on learning the salt. I mostly fished the hatchery supported waters in and around the park with great success. I did fish Bullhead a couple-three times with no notable results, other than I got to see lots of deer and a bear. The biggest fish I caught in the park was a 15 inch brown. The most memorable day was opening day in the early 90’s—I was standing in the middle of a stream, while it was snowing, with 2 does drinking from the stream about 15 yards away.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I fished Bullhead 5 times in the late 90s and early 2000s. The first 3 trips were exemplary, with my biggest fish each trip increasing from a 17" Brown to a 19" to a 21". The pools on my beat held multiple large fish and there were smaller ones staying our of the way of the 'bulls'. Then, the next 2 trips, everything had changed. I invited friends of mine, avid fly fisherman all, to accompany me to fish for these club-quality, catch and release fish in a stream open to the public. Each of these 2 trips were a disappointment for them and an embarrassment for me, having extolled the virtues to my friends. THERE WERE NO FISH! PERIOD!
Whether they had been poached out, washed out by a flood, or taken up by the hand of God, I don't know, but they weren't there anymore. The last trip, there weren't even any minnows or fry of any sort to be found and I searched 4 beats. I don't think the park rangers paid much attention to keeping the stream as it had been when it was a private club stream and that may have contributed to the demise of it as a viable trophy water, but I don't know that for certain.
Needless to say, I have never been back and have no plans to go. Too sad, really.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris & Shaggist- thank you both for the replies!! Always great to hear others opinions on the stream, especially those of you who fished it many years ago.

I was in the park yesterday and caught this beauty in the roaring river. I plan on fishing the entire 4 mile stretch of Bullhead up to its headwaters on the parkway soon. I will update here afterwards
Water Vertebrate Organism Fish Fin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Sunday tried East Prong Roaring River South of Stone Mtn State Park. Hatchery Supported waters. Our access had channel along far wall. Water was fast n silty due to recent rains. Tried for about an hour. No bites.
Appreciate you sharing your South Mtn State Park experiences.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi cmsouth,

I fished Sunday there also and experienced the same thing. I did not realize how heavily it rained all Saturday night and the water level was almost un-fishable in the morning. Didn’t have much success either but always nice to get out and cast regardless!

i fished the portion inside the park and outside just south as well, so we were probably on the same general stretch of water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is where I learned more information about it. I’ll be right behind you exploring. We own a cabin nearby and fish Stone Mountain a good bit. About to start adventuring up those blue lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great video, thanks for sending over! I have read Sams book but had not seen that presentation before.

I fished Bullhead all the way up to beat 8 two weekends ago and thoroughly enjoyed it despite the lack of fish I saw.

I am nearby Stone Mountain also and am typically there most weekends. Enjoy blue-lining, the amount of water in the area is almost overwhelming!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts