NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made yet another run to South Carolina's beautiful Low Country in looking to scratch that redfish itch. Early returns were disappointing, as I only managed to eke out a few slot fish and a bunch of rats through the expedient of slinging bait and jigs while wade fishing. Wednesday morning we hoped to get out and sight fish some low tide flats. No dice. Lightning and heavy chop kept us back at the house, grumbling and dissatisfied.

Late in the morning, the weather cleared up, and by the time high tide began to approach, it was a truly splendid afternoon. Making the most of the break, we went out in search of bull drum. I can't say that depth charge sinking lines and flies weighted like anchors are my favorite way to fish, but sometimes, you do what you have to. Besides, everything else is forgotten when a fish slams the fly.

I have to admit, they sure tug hard.

Then, it happened; I'd boated my first bull on a fly.

let's do that again

And again...

In all, I managed to boat four fly caught bull reds. Of course, proving the old adage almost precisely, mathematically true, we put another 39 bulls over the gunwales on live c-rigged pogies.

Not sure it really gets much better than this.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it was a 12wt. Tarpon hang out in the same spots as the bulls, and eat the same things. We even saw one breach 15 feet or so from the boat. We were using 80# fluorocarbon leaders on the conventional gear for the same reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.