NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been tying alot of deer hair bugs lately. Though id share some goodness. Alot of people think these are a waste of time, but the fish disagree. Here is a pic of the black bug in a bass's face somewhere in SC. Ive also been expierimenting with other patterns...some my own...some variations of existing patterns, and some productive simple flies. I need to come up with a way to keep the legs from fouling on the frogs/toads. I am thinking about some sort of mono skeleton connected to the back of the rabbit or somthing...any ideas? Normally, I tie a mono loop under the diver tails to keep them from fouling, but they dont work on frogs. Anyway, I hope you enjoy.

Bait Fishing bait Artificial fly Insect Arthropod
Artificial fly Insect Bait Arthropod Fishing lure
Head Eye Eyelash Natural material Animal product
Arthropod Insect Pest Invertebrate Parasite
Insect Arthropod Pest Creative arts Parasite
Head Insect Arthropod Pollinator Beetle
Brush Liquid Razor Circuit component Fishing bait
Petal Wheel Toy Automotive lighting Jewellery
Insect Arthropod Pollinator Eyelash Grey
Bait Fishing bait Fish hook Jaw Spoon lure

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice ties as always! I really like those articulated streamers. Look like a scaled down version of the Delivery Man pike fly posted on the FrankenFly blog recently, been thinking about trying something like that for bass.
Thats where I got the idea. These are only #1 on the back and 1/0 on the front. 8wtish. I tried to downsize it last night....here is a #6 and a #4. I can cast this on a 6wt all day.

Feather Finger Natural material Whiskers Fashion accessory

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha wow thanks dudes!

I think its important to post flies, even if you think they suck....it gives others ideas. Trust me man, anyone can tie flies. If I can do it, anyone can. I am the least patient person I have ever known. I really appreciate it. I can post my first few hundred fly attempts if it will make everyone feel better? They are horrendous.

·
Registered
28 Posts
haha wow thanks dudes!

I think its important to post flies, even if you think they suck....it gives others ideas. Trust me man, anyone can tie flies. If I can do it, anyone can. I am the least patient person I have ever known. I really appreciate it. I can post my first few hundred fly attempts if it will make everyone feel better? They are horrendous.
My question is, do you keep the flies that are horrendous as a reminder? Or do you cut off the material and reuse the hook? I've got a box of first tyed flies from a long time ago that are pretty bad!
Nice flies, great detail fyi

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank! I do have alot of my first flies still. I have my very first fly ever still in a drawer for sentimental reasons lol. It was just a crumby olive wooly bugger. My first deer hair attempts have been fished and a lot of trial and error has made me toss them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is some "Then and Now" shots. Keep in mind the wooly bugger was my first ever fly tied 46 weeks ago. The purple and gold deer hair bug was my first, tied 44 weeks ago. The two streamers represent the "now" compared to the wooly bugger and the black and gold represent the "now" for deer hair. I am interested to see others post somthing like this too. Its pretty cool to see your work change.

Eyelash Vision care Cloud Natural material Feather
Pollinator Arthropod Insect Flower Magenta
Plant Natural material Feather Tail Terrestrial plant
Eye Insect Eyelash Pollinator Butterfly
Eye Insect Arthropod Artificial fly Pollinator

·
Registered
252 Posts
Do you prefer Yoda or Jedi? or just Master...

Ive been tying alot of deer hair bugs lately. Though id share some goodness. Alot of people think these are a waste of time, but the fish disagree. Here is a pic of the black bug in a bass's face somewhere in SC. Ive also been expierimenting with other patterns...some my own...some variations of existing patterns, and some productive simple flies. I need to come up with a way to keep the legs from fouling on the frogs/toads. I am thinking about some sort of mono skeleton connected to the back of the rabbit or somthing...any ideas? Normally, I tie a mono loop under the diver tails to keep them from fouling, but they dont work on frogs. Anyway, I hope you enjoy.

View attachment 71095 View attachment 71096 View attachment 71097 View attachment 71099 View attachment 71100 View attachment 71098 View attachment 71101 View attachment 71102 View attachment 71103 View attachment 71104

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You are an extraordinary tier. I've been tying for over 45 years. Your deer hair bugs are among the best I've seen. If a mono loop doesn't prevent fouling on your frogs, perhaps a full mono weed guard? Or perhaps a couple of short pieces of narrow plastic tubing at the base of the rabbit strip-- but that might bulk it up too much. You might also try an articulated fly using one of the shorter Senyo shanks for the tail & legs and a very short shanked hook for the head.

Glasses Hand tool Office supplies Bicycle part Wood

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. Ive been messing with the legs since this post and got it figured out. I created a little skeleton behind the strips with 40# mono. Basically poke a hole in the "foot" of the rabbit strip with a bodkin and thread the mono thru it. Tie it in a knot and melt the knot with a lighter just to make it more solid once it re-hardens. Slide the knot to the base of the foot and its hidden behind the remaining hairs. Pull the mono tight before you tie it on the hook. It does mess with the action of the legs, but the fact it wont foul is worth the trade off. Im probably going to stick to Cohen's frog legs from now to. Its just much easier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.