NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gang
I'm gonna be surf-fishing in Buxton with a bunch of guys from church -- if someone else wants to bring a yak down, I can schedule some "breakout time" of sorts to paddle the sound side for a while. Anybody interested? (I'm expecting the hatteras surf to be a bit, um, "aggressive" for learning how to surf launch...)
Lefty

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey, Lefty ...

I'm still across the street (when I'm not at a football game). I haven't heard the report from Buxton yet. How about a report on the trip?

Come on over.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the good news is that I didn't catch any sticks! A little grass was all...

Caught a smallish pompano, was all I had to brag about.

One of the guys, though, landed a stingray Thursday evening - 69" wingspan! CRIKEY!! It was shortly after sundown, so he couldn't tell what was on his line -- just that it was big! Then it took off horizontally down the beach -- he's hollering at us all to get our lines in, as he comes barrelling along toward all our rods!

We finally got a light on it, and saw it waving at us from the surf... It probably took 20 minutes to get it high enough on the sand to, um... marvel at.... (what else ya gonna do?) I'll post a pic when I get 'em from the official photographer.

We wound up cutting the line up under the wing -- while the tail was being held down with a shovel. Then one on each wingtip (a handful -- it was at least 3" thick on the wingtips) we dragged it back down to where the surf could take him back out .

Heckuva guy that John is -- being the head honcho of the event -- he declared that the "tournament" part of the event would start Friday morning, so the rest of us didn't have to match either the 69" wingspan or the 48" length. Big fish of the rest of the event clocked in at 29.5" -- not sure what species, but the winner was eating striper friday night. Next biggest that I saw first-hand was a 24.5" drum.

No injuries to speak of, so that was a good thing. (In previous years we've had ribs broken while playing football on the beach, and a burn from a gas-powered pig-cooker...) And nobody washed out to sea by the nor'easter. Pretty good weather, too, considering... some lightning Friday around sundown (which means it's time to eat) and some rain saturday late morning...

Lots of good time with good friends.
Lefty

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Sunset over the sound should never be interrupted with anything more than a glass of ice cold lemonade. Electricity and swirling clouds are added attractions. Eating can wait. October sunsets on the banks mean you are doing something right. AL

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, we were smack on The Point. Couldn't see the sound from there -- ocean to the east, ocean to the south. Lighthouse to the NW. But your point is well taken, that's a beautiful chunk o' God's creation right there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.