NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have landed a 4,5 and 6 pound bass on my buzz bait and each time I have had to attempt to bend them back into shape after each time. I am getting the fish hooked good and need pliers to get hook out. Its not just hook end getting bent but seems like the entire wire is getting bent. Any ideas??

Reactions: OptiMystic

·
Registered
978 Posts
most buzzbaits have the same problem..even brandnew out of the pack sometimes I need to tweak it out a bit so it can buzz straight..

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried really, really hard to feel sorry for you, but I am just not feeling it... :D
I know getting two biggies last night was rough

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Anytime you have thin wire it will get bent. Same problem with spinnerbaits I've had some come back mangled. If it really bothers you, look into the terminator titanium ones you could tie a bow with them and when you let go it all goes back to normal.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
A word of warning. If the wire is bending significantly every time you catch a fish, I'd throw it away and get a lure with a thicker wire. The reason is that the thinner wire will work harden faster because it bends more. Eventually, the wire will break while fighting a fish. This issue is more prevalent in the thin wire spinnerbaits but applies equally to buzzbaits.

·
Registered
46 Posts
More with spinnerbaits than buzz the thin wire is important for action. It's a bit of a tradeoff because the light wire spinnerbait will vibrate more in the water which gives an attractive presentation but it's more prone to bending and breakage than a heavier-wired bait with less/little vibration. I'm not quite sure if that's different with the buzz since it's a topwater bait or not. But as everyone else has said it is probably just going to be something you have to bend back best you can or replace. Good problem to have though, I'm jealous :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
More with spinnerbaits than buzz the thin wire is important for action. It's a bit of a tradeoff because the light wire spinnerbait will vibrate more in the water which gives an attractive presentation but it's more prone to bending and breakage than a heavier-wired bait with less/little vibration. I'm not quite sure if that's different with the buzz since it's a topwater bait or not. But as everyone else has said it is probably just going to be something you have to bend back best you can or replace. Good problem to have though, I'm jealous :rolleyes:
IMHO, the thin wire spinnerbaits are marketed as an advantage when in reality they just want to sell more baits. I have had several of the thin wire lures and they only made it 1 or two trips before the wire failed. At $5-$8 a pop that is too pricey. Recently, I have gone to the Terminator T-1 spinnerbaits. I like the compact style and the titanium wire is almost as flexible as the thin steel.

As for buzzbaits I don't see the point of a thin wire. In fact, I think it could be a disadvantage. You want the wire to be stiff to resist the drag of the water against the blade or the lure will start to collapse and make it hard to keep on top or put the hook at a bad angle. The blade slapping on the water makes more than enough vibration for a fish to find it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
what kind of buzzbaits do you use most Spidey?
I like the booyah clacker and the cavitron buzzbaits..
theyre pretty sturdy..usually my wires bend because of a heavy snag usually not the fish..I can catch several bass no problem without the wire bending..
I like the titanium wires but what I notice about them is it tends to wear the lead head out quicker than the average stainless steel or aluminum buzzbaits from my experience..im talking about where the wire meets the lead head..it strips out after so many fish..ive had some strip on just one monster..titanium and stainless! I saved the lures as trophies! :p
the terminator titanium stripped out on me brand new out of the pack on one 7 pounder and the cavitron stripped out on me after several smaller bass and finally after a monster 8 pounder..now the wire just wobbles side to side freely in the lead head..

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what kind of buzzbaits do you use most Spidey?
I like the booyah clacker and the cavitron buzzbaits..
theyre pretty sturdy..usually my wires bend because of a heavy snag usually not the fish..I can catch several bass no problem without the wire bending..
I like the titanium wires but what I notice about them is it tends to wear the lead head out quicker than the average stainless steel or aluminum buzzbaits from my experience..im talking about where the wire meets the lead head..it strips out after so many fish..ive had some strip on just one monster..titanium and stainless! I saved the lures as trophies! :p
the terminator titanium stripped out on me brand new out of the pack on one 7 pounder and the cavitron stripped out on me after several smaller bass and finally after a monster 8 pounder..now the wire just wobbles side to side freely in the lead head..
I have some Booya but been using a strike king till I lost it. Latest one I used last night and today is a M Hull Turbulence Buzzbait darn thing was like 6.50$. I guess I am just catching too big of bass :D

Reactions: Big Dawg

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Bent wire is just the cost of catching fish on a blade. I opt for light wire spinnerbaits. I can feel the vibration better with them and they seem to have better action IMO. Sometimes during the fight, your line will get hung in the wire as the fish is jumping and turning and that will bend it, also if you dead lift fish with the rod or let them roll around in a net that can bend them.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
since both fish that bent it were lipped I am assuming the bends occurred during the fight since both were well hooked and ran and fought hard before finally able to get them in.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The only advantage I'm familiar with for thin wire on buzzbaits is to make them lighter and easier to stay on the surface. This would potentially allow them to be worked a little more slowly without sinking.

Having said that, I'm normally burning those buzzbaits pretty fast anyway, so as others have said ... get one with a thicker wire.

I've found the walmart 3-pack Luck-E-Strike buzzbaits have a fairly stiff wire and are cheap. However, I've had blade failures and loose lead heads on these. Most durable I've used are the Terminator Titanium series. They also run true and have great hooks/skirts.

·
Registered
421 Posts
This isn't about a buzzbait - but on a related note the first fish I ever caught on a spinnerbait was a 40" muskie, when I was 12. One of the memories associated with that glorious day was seeing my Dad try to put that bait back together - the wire was mangled and the skirt was pretty much destroyed, lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts