NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys who know me. Know um passionate about fishing buzzbaits. But I've been having way too many swings and misses. This year I've lost a lot of good fish. Is this normal? I don't remember so many. Haven't changed a thing? I did try out a new creation of buzzbait blade and spro frog. They loved it! But didn't hook either.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Using a trailer hook? I like using a split tail trailer on mine too for a little extra weight and profile.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
the bigger fish have been swinging and missing a lot for me this month even with a trailer hook. if they're still striking on a slower retrieve you'll get more hookups than when you are burning it

·
Registered
792 Posts
not looking at it works better for me. I have a tendency to pull it away when I see the fish strike.

·
Registered
748 Posts
There are days when they roll on buzzbaits all day and never put it in their mouths...whether we chalk it to jerking too soon or no trailer hook, which does happen more often, sometimes it doesn't matter. Those days, try the wake bait for a bit. No guarantees of course.

by all means tho never fish a buzzer without a follow up bait ready as said above...something weightless or on top.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I agree, I have had days with topwater baits where it just seems they are hitting it with their mouths closed.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I agree, I have had days with topwater baits where it just seems they are hitting it with their mouths closed.
That was today had three swipes but clearly the mouths were closed

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yeah they did that all day long Saturday for us as well on spooks and skitterwalks. Wake bait didn't work either this time. Probably 50 strikes, but hooked 15.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
All I know to help is I fish them and a swimbait the same way. I won't set the hook until the rod loads. Sounds easy but is hard to keep setting the hook.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts