NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bittersweet morning today. Rode out the old honey hole with the thought in the back of my mind that it could be the last time I ever get to fish there. I leave for Charlotte tomorrow and will only be back up in this area for a couple day span the 20-23rd to finalize packing and moving everything, who knows if i'll have time to fish in there. I've learned so much fishing this water for the past 4 years and it has given up dozens of monster bass to me over those times. It hasn't been all daisies as I've taken my share of skunks on the chin, but this last month here in July has been extremely good to me.

Picked up a small guy on a buzzbait early and a little bit later picked up a healthy fish right over 5#s. Worked the area a while longer with nothing to show for it. Switched up to a spook and missed a real nice fish on the second cast. Couldn't coax him in to another go at it. Had a bass in the 3.5-4# range grab my buzzbait and somehow the hooks pulled a few seconds in to the fight. Picked up two dinks slow rolling a red eye shad and couldn't end on that kind of performance...

I headed back to an area with a submerged tree and started working the buzz again. At this point it was almost 11am and I wasn't expecting a whole lot just hoping for a solid fish to go out on in case I don't make it back. Third or 4th cast BAM!!!! fish hit the buzzbait so hard it knocked it up out of the water but didn't connect. I'm thinking oh great I get to leave on another miss. Next cast WHACK! same story, this fish wanted it bad but couldn't connect.... Next cast I'm working it through the tree... nothing... nothing.... 6" of water at the bank SPLASH!!! The stinker missed again!!! And this time he splashed water all over me with his tail! Can't let a fish get away with that..... Threw out to the right in the shallows where it looked like he was going..... He sucks in the buzzbait comes out of the water with it and man I set the mess out of that hook. He gave me a good little fight swimming between sticks and roots but I got him in, another chunky one right at 5# on the scale. I truly hope I get another chance to hit this pond as it has been my "home water" for bass fishing for the last 4 years and I have caught hundreds of fish out of it including my personal best of 10lbs 6oz and multiple fish over 8lbs. I couldn't help but think every time I've caught a good sized fish this month that there's a good chance I caught them when they were young. Will add pics in a little while. Gonna go reflect on my day for a little bit and get back to packing :eek:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Good to hear you had good luck. For a full moon day and great lunar table day and being out during peak time all I can claim is a little 3/4 pounder on a red shad senko. Had one other nibble. Not a single blow up,at the buzz bait and than on a cast I wasn't paying attention to branch behind me bumped it enough to send my buzz flying into the water and the rest of line still on my spool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts