NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to post this here as a "report" instead of adding to the other lengthy thread.
Drove up to Calderwood last Sunday. Air in the morning was 47° which warmed to 69°-70° for the afternoon high. Water temperature was 64° throughout the day. Marked fish not far from the launch on the NC side. Trolled through there with a Rooster Tail with no luck. Dropped a wiggle hoochie w/nightcrawler, again with no luck. Didn't spend much time there anticipating hitting my "spots" closer down toward the dam where I caught fish last trip.

Trolled the setup above; Rooster Tail on leadcore with trolling rudder on one side, a wiggle hoochie 4' behind a 4" dodger on the dowrigger on the other side. Trolled through one place and hit a snag. Got everything loose and before setting up again, I just grabbed a light spinning rod with a Rooster tail and cast. Wasn't two, maybe the third cast a trout hammered it and I got a nice 14" trout. (No picture) Great, let's get on with it!
Worked that section of bank for an hour. That was it.

Spent the rest of the day trolling, working banks, some casting. Nothing.
I tried what is mentioned above in various colors, plus Rapalas, spoon, nothing produced.
Also learned, AGAIN, not to troll Rooster Tails on leadcore. Even with a trolling rudder and bead swivels along with ball bearing swivels, the leadcore gets ruined by twist. Maybe if the speed is very slow it won't twist but in the future, any spinner will go on the rod with braid on the downrigger.

I took Rosie with me for company, and because the rest of the family was out of town and she couldn't stay all day at home by herself. She enjoys fishing, to a point. She has a hard time keeping up with her daily naps while riding in the boat. I got a nice picture of two dogs, the one in the boat and the sun dog in the early morning sky.
So it was a nice day, beautiful fall weather, though a bit far to ride for one trout.
Water Cloud Sky Dog Mountain

Water Sky Mountain Dog Boat

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice Report.....No Substitute for Time on the Water. You will have less and less use for the roostertails. I realize you have Confidence in them.....but, there are better options like Mack's Wedding Rings.....Double Whammy and Glow Fly series.... for trolling. Tip them with a piece of nightcrawler or bait to get things started.....and don't forget the ball bearing swivels.

Calderwood will lose it's "advantage" as the weather cools. It's a good steady year round option.....but it's cooler water temps really shine in the warmer months. It's also always beautiful there. Some days......the fish just don't cooperate. I've trolled areas with No Action.....only to return to the same spot later that day and have success? That's just fishing.

As the crowds leave the "other" lakes.....it's time to start learning them. You also might check out Cheoah.....which gets stocked yearly and has a healthy.....mostly forgotten trout population. I'll be there in about three weeks....with some new ideas to test out. I'm also going to focus more on larger trout.....20 inch plus Trophy Triploids. Of course.....the fish may have entirely different plans!

Keep Fishing and Good Luck!....D

·
Registered
794 Posts
If the water was 64 that's very warm. That's getting toward the temp that will cause Rainbows to lay low. Fontana's fall release has gotten warmer in recent years as it's silted in. Historically, Fontana's release seldom went over 52 degrees and sometimes it didn't break 50. When TVA generates heavy day after day this time of year, these days, Fontana runs out of super chilled water in the fall. The cold water kitty isn't what it used to be.

The fishing in Calderwood should pick up by mid February. The water will be colder and the Browns will have spawned and they'll be hungry and a bit more reckless than average.

The big reservoirs function like giant heat pumps. The great volume of water in them both cools and warms slower than the original streams.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice Report.....No Substitute for Time on the Water. You will have less and less use for the roostertails. I realize you have Confidence in them.....but, there are better options like Mack's Wedding Rings.....Double Whammy and Glow Fly series.... for trolling. Tip them with a piece of nightcrawler or bait to get things started.....and don't forget the ball bearing swivels.

Calderwood will lose it's "advantage" as the weather cools. It's a good steady year round option.....but it's cooler water temps really shine in the warmer months. It's also always beautiful there. Some days......the fish just don't cooperate. I've trolled areas with No Action.....only to return to the same spot later that day and have success? That's just fishing.

As the crowds leave the "other" lakes.....it's time to start learning them. You also might check out Cheoah.....which gets stocked yearly and has a healthy.....mostly forgotten trout population. I'll be there in about three weeks....with some new ideas to test out. I'm also going to focus more on larger trout.....20 inch plus Trophy Triploids. Of course.....the fish may have entirely different plans!

Keep Fishing and Good Luck!....D
Yep even using BB swivels along with bead chain swivels and trolling rudder, those 24 oz Rooster Tails still will twist that leadcore. Not nearly as bad as last time but still, ANY twist to leadcore is detrimental to the line. I may try 18# next time. I do have confidence in the RT spinner and thus tried it first...along with the Hoochies/nightcrawler. After I realized the line was twisting (at around 2-2.2mph) is when I tried switching to Rapalas etc. I do have some Mack's wedding rings and a few more on order so that will be my next choice for experimenting along with some home tied trolling flies.
May go back up in a couple weeks and stay overnight. Hit Santeetlah one day Calderwood the next. Could potentially fish Calderwood one morning and Cheoah in the afternoon. I'll save Bear or Wolf for one day trips. Either of those is about an hour less travel time than Calderwood.

If the water was 64 that's very warm. That's getting toward the temp that will cause Rainbows to lay low. Fontana's fall release has gotten warmer in recent years as it's silted in. Historically, Fontana's release seldom went over 52 degrees and sometimes it didn't break 50. When TVA generates heavy day after day this time of year, these days, Fontana runs out of super chilled water in the fall. The cold water kitty isn't what it used to be.

The fishing in Calderwood should pick up by mid February. The water will be colder and the Browns will have spawned and they'll be hungry and a bit more reckless than average.

The big reservoirs function like giant heat pumps. The great volume of water in them both cools and warms slower than the original streams.
I was a bit surprised by that temperature. Of course, that is surface temp, I don't know what it was deeper down but with an upstream release of water and significant in-flow, along with the narrow overall width of Calderwood, I would think it would mix much more than a typical lake, eliminating significantly different temps through the water column until you get really deep. There was an inflow of water and they were generating at Cheoah dam. I don't know if the release for generating at Cheoah is surface water or not but I believe it is. Didn't check the schedule so I'm not sure what Fontana was releasing, which is where the cold water comes from. That is, unless I'm totally confused.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts