NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 10 nephew that wants a kayak for Christmas and I told me Sister-in-law I'd help look. Used is fine, but we gotta stay at (or even better, less than) $300. It doesn't need to be fancy, just easy enough for a 10 year to handle.

Any ideas or help is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
...a couple of textbook questions...
Fishing yak or paddling yak? Where's he gonna paddle most?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Dick's sporting goods carries Pelican Yak which will in or around the price range that your looking. I would guess that they're about ready for a summer sale as the stores will be changing over to the hunting season soon.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lefty said:
...a couple of textbook questions...
Fishing yak or paddling yak? Where's he gonna paddle most?
He's 10, he'll probably take it out once, realize it involves more than talented gameboy thumbs and leave it in his Dad's garage for the rest of his natural life. :rolleyes:

If I had to guess, I'd say as basic as possible, the most GP kayak.

I'll check out Dick's.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
<chuckle>
In Raleigh, Dicks has about the most-limited choice. Provision Co has a lot more choices. If you're looking for lowest-cost new, tho, Dick's has had a pretty cheap sit-inside. Generally the sit-insides are cheaper and lighter, the sit-on-tops are easier to get to stuff, and easier to get in and out of (esp. if you want to wade-fish).

Y'know, if ya wanted to bring him up to Raleigh for an afternoon, you can rent kayaks from several of the retailers or from Lake Crabtree... better to blow $7/hour than even $250... Plus you could try a couple of models, a new one each hour!

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.