NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I started a new job last week, after being off for over a month. Went from almost every other day fishing to none in the last two weeks. So I am thinking about heading out somewhere this Sat. to the coast. Thinking Ft. Fisher (watch the speed, son) or Topsail, or anything like that. Anybody have any suggestions, or want to hook up and go?

Oh yeah- weather looks pretty decent- below 90 and low wind, with only slight chances for storms in the SE quadrant of the state.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Scooteri,
Wish I could go with you this weekend, haven't been to coast yet with my kayak and need to look into what gear I would need, I've been fishing local fresh water. Keep us kayakers informed for future get togethers.
A question for experienced salt water fisherman: Could you give me a basic startup list of the kinds of equipment I should have to go the coast.
Thanks, Kayak ken

·
Registered
334 Posts
I need to be in Nags Head about 4 pm sat. If you end up going somewhere within driving distance of the outer banks I could go out until around 2pm.

Reactions: skooteri

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
A question for experienced salt water fisherman: Could you give me a basic startup list of the kinds of equipment I should have to go the coast.
Thanks, Kayak ken
Hmmm... Not sure I count as "experienced" -- but for whatever my year-and-change worth of history is worth...

For protected inshore areas like Fort Fisher, my equipment list is pretty much the same as Lake Jordan. I always wear my PFD and paddle with a buddy. I carry a rescue knife, a whistle, and a pocket-sized air horn. I carry gatorade and snacks, sunscreen & bugspray, a first-aid kit, and a change of dry clothes. My paddle and fishing gear are leashed.

Before I go offshore, I plan on putting a handheld VHF on the shoulder of my PFD. The only other gear I'm calling to mind offhand might be stronger tackle.

If you're free on Saturday, Ken, I wouldn't recommend that you should be too leery of the protected inshore areas like Ft. Fisher or the inshore side of Topsail. If ScooterI wants to head offshore, then ya might want to wait a bit...

As for my schedule for Saturday, I'll have to coordinate with the rest of the family unit... I'll let y'all know shortly...

Reactions: kayak ken

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I go to the coast, I use at least medium rods, 6-7 feet, and reels that are a little bit bigger. I defintiely go cheaper on the reels, you can't keep them dry.

Proper attire is key- when I went with Lefty to Ft. Fisher, I wore shorts, t-shirt and forgot the hat. Kept lathered up, but still got smoking burnt. Now i wear long sleeves and staple my hat to me head the night before. Shades are a definite must, polarized preferably. SPF 30 or better sunscreen and of course bug spray. Water socks or something to protect the feet.

I keep my cooler on the boat for water, snacks and to keep a keeper or two, if I can find any. Plastic bags for wallet, phone and keys.

And definitely an anchor. Tides and wind will keep you moving. If you don't want to get wet, then going out in the waves isn't for you. And like Lefty says, leash everything.

Fort Fisher can be good, great even, but if the wind is howling, it can be hard. And the current at Topsail is strong, especially near New Topsail Inlet. I don't know bout how crowded it would be on a weekend, but Oriental is pretty easy in and out.

If you guys are considering Ft. Fisher this Saturday, you are crazy. You might melt!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
CoachKinsey has been telling me about Oriental for years now. Never been there -- sounds like a great place to fish...

Reactions: kayak ken

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CoachKinsey has been telling me about Oriental for years now. Never been there -- sounds like a great place to fish...
Yes- easy in and out at free wildlife ramp. Virtually no currents and sailboats far outnumber wake-makers. You can fish out in the river, or in the creek, protected by a nice jetty. Last time I was there, I added a first to my species list-- an otter. First time I had seen one in the wild.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
My wife's got periodontal surgery scheduled for tomorrow morning -- I can't make plans for the weekend until we have some idea of what her recovery is going to be like.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'm thinking about giong somewhere this weekend. They're calling for rain but that isn't going to stop me when I get desperate. I don't think this warm weather is going to be good for the fishing though. It would probably be smart to find some deep and/or moving water that will hold some cooler temperatures.

I'm thinking New Bern and the Neuse River.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
That sounds like a solid plan. You can always take a break from the heat in the shade of the bridge too..

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Sneads Ferry/Topsail area, The flounder bite is on, and it is strong. Went catching last Saturday and had 23 keepers. The biggest was 6 1/2. I can't give you an exact location, but if I were in a Kayak, I would be looking some deep marsh grass banks in the backwaters. Five to twelve feet or so. I would also be looking some live shrimp to float under a slip bobber.;) You may also find some of those little speckled critters.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sneads Ferry/Topsail area, The flounder bite is on, and it is strong. Went catching last Saturday and had 23 keepers. The biggest was 6 1/2. I can't give you an exact location, but if I were in a Kayak, I would be looking some deep marsh grass banks in the backwaters. Five to twelve feet or so. I would also be looking some live shrimp to float under a slip bobber.;) You may also find some of those little speckled critters.
Thanks Bread Man. Are you talking about New River area or in behind the island? I am thinking of heading that way tomorrow. Got to get into the fresh air- tired of the AC!

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
The icw. Not the New River. The Surf City, South Topsail area. I have caught some in New River Inlet recently, but the bite has been up in the creeks and marshes for me. I don't know how well you know the area. Some of the smaller creeks open up into bays and backwaters that are a couple of miles long. I can't post any exact answers, sorry. If I did, when I went again, it would be like a party out there. I go now, and once I get out of the waterway, I rarely even see another boat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.