NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Before I had two hip replacements and a right wrist reassembled, I use to go aboard Camp Geiger and/or Camp Johnson on Friday evenings and invite any of the Marines attending schools there to fish with me on the weekends. I would then speak with their 1stSgt's (as most only get one day off and I would get them, usually two at a time on a Friday and drop them off on Sunday afternoons) so they could get the whole weekend off. Spend Friday night at my home. Feed them a great homemade meal. Let them get a great nights sleep, relax in a home atmosphere and then fish all day Saturday, bring them back to my home and feed them again and let them relax again and then drop them off on Sundays around noonish time period.

It got these young Jarheads out of the area of the base. Would get to show them other areas away from the base to fish and also let them know that us old Gunny's still care about the youngsters. Did it going all the way back to 2001 and have stayed in touch with a whole lot of these Marines. Sadly, a couple of them were K.I.A. in Iraq and Afghanistan but they were shown that other people do care. Once I am fully recovered I plan to continue this practice.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I had two hip replacements and a right wrist reassembled, I use to go aboard Camp Geiger and/or Camp Johnson on Friday evenings and invite any of the Marines attending schools there to fish with me on the weekends. I would then speak with their 1stSgt's (as most only get one day off and I would get them, usually two at a time on a Friday and drop them off on Sunday afternoons) so they could get the whole weekend off. Spend Friday night at my home. Feed them a great homemade meal. Let them get a great nights sleep, relax in a home atmosphere and then fish all day Saturday, bring them back to my home and feed them again and let them relax again and then drop them off on Sundays around noonish time period.

It got these young Jarheads out of the area of the base. Would get to show them other areas away from the base to fish and also let them know that us old Gunny's still care about the youngsters. Did it going all the way back to 2001 and have stayed in touch with a whole lot of these Marines. Sadly, a couple of them were K.I.A. in Iraq and Afghanistan but they were shown that other people do care. Once I am fully recovered I plan to continue this practice.
I have to say, I don't think I can name one staff nco that would do something like that. You have my highest respects.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You might be surprised at what your SNCO's will actually do....
I agree. If there isn't any SNCO's that would do that, then the Corps' has definitely changed for the worse. And I do not for one second believe that. I retired in 1996 and before that, I took my young Marines fishing all the time. You have to realize that we didn't get the pay you guys get today, and most Marines under the rank of Sergeant couldn't afford a car, unless it was a jalopy. So most used the base buses to get around, and then only to Oceanside or San Clemente. I was never stationed here in Jacksonville until I retired, as I have a little brother who spent much of his career here and is also a retired GySgt, and I know he took his Marines fishing all the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
First thing I bought my son, who is at Cherry Point, right after he arrived was a little Coleman Crawdad with a trolling motor and a new battery! Then when I came out before he was deployed I found a fishing charter in morehead and took him and 2 of his buddies out off of Hatteras for some Spanish Makeral and something else but can't remember...brought them back to the resort and taught them how to cook it on the grill sealed in tin foil with butter/lemon/spices and veggies! All of his buddies know that if I'm cooking, camping or fishing they can come along....no invitation needed! Once I finally get everything moved here, I will be fishing the New River area and if there is an open seat in the boat and anyone stuck in the barracks that's wants to come along will always be welcome! Gear/food/drinks taken care of...just need your fishing lisc...and comfortable clothes!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Im in the area and wouldn't mind showing you around for the inshore fish. I mostly kayak fish now, usually friday afternoons, saturdays and sunday mornings. Shoot me a PM and when the weather gets back to normal we can try to set something up.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have carried all 27 Marines under me out in my boat. And some multiple times. From inshore to offshore and in between. As Trigger said, you will be surprised at what we (SNCO's) will do. And I have fished with my Marines from shore more times than I can count from St Mary's Ga to Chesapeake Bay Va.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Im on Camp Lejeune, and when im not working, Im fishing. Most days i skip lunch and head for the dock beside dental, or down to french creek, But from friday to sunday, I'm kayak fishing anywhere from sneads ferry, to LZ Bluebird and surrounding creeks as well as the ICW, all the way to the point at Emerald Isle (not all in one day of course), but give me a shout @Stevedc and ill be willing to go with you sometime.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey Dishfishin03, I'm looking to go out for my first saltwater trip on Sunday and would really like to go along with someone. I'd be willing to make the drive with my kayak to go around that area. I cant PM you until you post more, but I would like to get up with you to discuss more.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm willing to meet up with whoever for some fishing depending on the day. I try to get out most weekends in the morning and sometimes weekdays in the afternoons. Did a lot of fishing around and in freemans creek last year, had some luck there and not crowded like other on base areas can get sometimes. I use a kayak, with all this warmth I anticipate the creeks closer to the ICW to start warming up, especially reds and flounder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.