NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am coming to CB June 10-12 and thought we might try camping at FP. I have 4wd but have only used it once...is FP pretty easy to drive on and camp? It looks pretty good from the web cam I watch, with lots of people and fisherman. Do people let air out of their tires or is the sand pretty firm? Any help with information would be greatly appreciated...
I know it is $20/day but if you come in Tue. and leave early Thur., do you owe 2 or 3 days? I am assuming you need saltwater license as well. Thanks for all the help in advance...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yes you do need a saltwater fishing license. I won't comment about driving out there- I do know they have been working on the entrace way where most people seemed to get stuck at.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What kind of 4wd do you have? The sand can be soft, airing down is always a good idea. A steady throttle is key and never stomp on the breaks or the gas. You'll definitely need a saltwater license. I cannot comment on whether you'll need a two or three day pass, I have a yearly one.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Have to be off the beach by 8:00am (I think) or you need to pay for that day. I would definitely air down (18-20psi) and do not stop anywhere near the entrance, very soft sand out there most of the time.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I didnt knwo there was anywhere left this time of year you can drive on NC beaches now I"M curoius!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, since I have 2 fishing virgins I think we will stick to piers and I might surf Ft. Fisher one day. They don't have surf stuff and even if we catch pinfish and skate, they will love it. It is hard for me to imagine being 2 guys, brothers, 30 &35 and never been fishing...lol. I am so lucky to have loved it my whole life even tho no one in my family fished...Will go to FP next trip when I see how they do on a pier...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Am coming to CB June 10-12 and thought we might try camping at FP. I have 4wd but have only used it once...is FP pretty easy to drive on and camp? It looks pretty good from the web cam I watch, with lots of people and fisherman. Do people let air out of their tires or is the sand pretty firm? Any help with information would be greatly appreciated...
I know it is $20/day but if you come in Tue. and leave early Thur., do you owe 2 or 3 days? I am assuming you need saltwater license as well. Thanks for all the help in advance...
you can buy a day pass for $20, a week long for $50 or an annual for $100. The Scotchman close to the north end has annual passes available, Any weekend is gonna be packed for camping. Good luck with the fishing. Hope its better by then. I have been about every weekend this month and been skunked on the daily, shark fishing several hundred yards out and bottom fishing off the surf. They have installed an actual wooden road at the entrance that has helped a whole lot for people getting stuck. However, the sand is very soft just as you come onto the beach. Make sure you have some momentum right when you come on the beach until you get about 50 yards on the sand. AIR DOWN if you havent ever driven on the sand. 12-15 psi. It is two different worlds.

A man with an F350 with a huge bed mounted camper got stuck right in front of me this weekend and was at 60psi. (on the frame almost stuck) I gave him my speed bleeders and he dropped to 15psi. and took right off like there was never a problem. He came back later that day and thanked me and said it was like driving a totally different truck on the sand. You can pick up a saltwater license at any WalMart. You can also go on the NC Wildlife page and get one online. They will mail you a copy but you can print on for your records too. http://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing.aspx

·
Registered
25 Posts
We were @ Freeeman 2 weeks ago..Yes you can camp yes you can have a fire and yes air down(its a must)..We were at the end where the inlet is and that sand is like concrete down there,but lotsa fluff to get there.What NSTIGATR said is 100% spot on!!..We fished the inlet most of the weekend and cought nothing but croaker and skate(when the tide is ripping) ya need atleast a #7 to hold bottom..Get your lic and pass here on the way in ISLAND TRUE VALUE TACKLE & HARDWARE
801 N Lake Park Blvd
Carolina Beach, NC 28428-4828
910-458-3049

1 - 10 of 10 Posts