NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have my mom coming into town next weekend and I'm looking for somewhere to camp March 13-15th. Any suggestions for the best camping spots within a 2.5 hour drive from Raleigh? Fishing would be great, especially if there is water access from the camp site (for my kayak) but the camping spot has more priority. Only bringing tents so we're pretty flexible where we can camp. I've tried doing some research but it seems the time of year has a lot of campgrounds closed until April. My mom and I are very much "campers" so primitive is cool with us.
Also, we need somewhere that allows us to have a beer around a campfire at night :)

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in advance

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Our state campgrounds have a no alcohol rule, but don't think they would bother you as long as you kept your drink covered in a way that no one would know what you're drinking.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cedar Point camp grounds was a very nice place. Good camp sites, they do lock the camp entry gate at like 11pm but wasn't a big deal for us. Has the Cedar point hiking trail and a boat ramp that puts you right into the White Oak River. Don't remember any alcohol restrictions as others in the area had beers but would say call and check first then.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Cedar Point is currently closed for renovations to make it more RV friendly. The price will be going up next year to $20 a site plus $12 for electricity. If you can drive a $100,000 plus RV you can afford $32 a night :mad: They started almost a month late on renovations and have done very little because of weather and other issues. If lucky it will be open in June. The USFS has a no alcohol policy, but they don't check cups.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Falls Lake has a loop open for the winter and is located just north of Raleigh. Also Badin Lake Campground which has no power but does have showers or Arrowhead Campground which has power are both open and nice in the Uwharrie NF. Your mother might enjoy the NC Zoo and the pottery shops around Sea Grove. These areas are 30-40 minutes from Uwharrie

Medoc Mt. SP I believe is open but does not have water for kayaking. However, it is close to Historic Halifax and Sylvan Heights Waterfowl Park. Both are 15-25 minutes away

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Keep it in a cup, keep your space clean, and no one will bother you as long as you respect the neighbors and the nature. Especially at Kerr.

**also the Nutbush camp is by Nutbush bridge which has a catwalk along it to fish from. I have caught many many Crappie from that bridge dropping my baits between the bridge and catwalk on the pilings.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I believe the only campgrounds on Kerr that are open are North Bend and JC Cooper. Steel creek campground may be and they allow adult beverages. If you kept your containers concealed, packed out your containers and didnt bother anyone, you would probably be fine at the parks. I have never seen park staff bother anyone. Another option might be Americamps on Lake Gaston take exit 4 just over the VA line and its about 10 minutes off of 85.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ditto on Carolina Beach State Park. Has the camp ground and boat ramp where Snow's Cup opens into river. Nice rest rooms and bath facility. Good chance you can get into stripers (catch and release only). Lots of kayakers use this area. Within a mile of Carolina Beach and a few miles from Kure Beach. Wilmington is about 10 miles from camp ground.

Good luck.
Foursum

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Neuseway is a great place to camp. very clean and well kept, a good shower facility, fishing ponds as well as River access. That part of the river I have been told is not that great for fishing but there are launch options close by.

Darrell

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.