NC Angler Forums banner

Camping suggestions?

7K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  sporkd2 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have my mom coming into town next weekend and I'm looking for somewhere to camp March 13-15th. Any suggestions for the best camping spots within a 2.5 hour drive from Raleigh? Fishing would be great, especially if there is water access from the camp site (for my kayak) but the camping spot has more priority. Only bringing tents so we're pretty flexible where we can camp. I've tried doing some research but it seems the time of year has a lot of campgrounds closed until April. My mom and I are very much "campers" so primitive is cool with us.
Also, we need somewhere that allows us to have a beer around a campfire at night :)

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Reactions: dbeam
#9 ·
Cedar Point camp grounds was a very nice place. Good camp sites, they do lock the camp entry gate at like 11pm but wasn't a big deal for us. Has the Cedar point hiking trail and a boat ramp that puts you right into the White Oak River. Don't remember any alcohol restrictions as others in the area had beers but would say call and check first then.

#10 ·
Cedar Point is currently closed for renovations to make it more RV friendly. The price will be going up next year to $20 a site plus $12 for electricity. If you can drive a $100,000 plus RV you can afford $32 a night :mad: They started almost a month late on renovations and have done very little because of weather and other issues. If lucky it will be open in June. The USFS has a no alcohol policy, but they don't check cups.

#23 ·
I just checked again, the site Recreation.gov says Cedar Point will be back open on the 4th of March or today, but when you check available dates it has them blocked off, did not see that.

So I guess if there is an area that says it will be open, better give the location a call just to be sure.

#11 ·
Falls Lake has a loop open for the winter and is located just north of Raleigh. Also Badin Lake Campground which has no power but does have showers or Arrowhead Campground which has power are both open and nice in the Uwharrie NF. Your mother might enjoy the NC Zoo and the pottery shops around Sea Grove. These areas are 30-40 minutes from Uwharrie

Medoc Mt. SP I believe is open but does not have water for kayaking. However, it is close to Historic Halifax and Sylvan Heights Waterfowl Park. Both are 15-25 minutes away

#13 ·
Keep it in a cup, keep your space clean, and no one will bother you as long as you respect the neighbors and the nature. Especially at Kerr.

**also the Nutbush camp is by Nutbush bridge which has a catwalk along it to fish from. I have caught many many Crappie from that bridge dropping my baits between the bridge and catwalk on the pilings.

#15 ·
I believe the only campgrounds on Kerr that are open are North Bend and JC Cooper. Steel creek campground may be and they allow adult beverages. If you kept your containers concealed, packed out your containers and didnt bother anyone, you would probably be fine at the parks. I have never seen park staff bother anyone. Another option might be Americamps on Lake Gaston take exit 4 just over the VA line and its about 10 minutes off of 85.

#17 ·
Ditto on Carolina Beach State Park. Has the camp ground and boat ramp where Snow's Cup opens into river. Nice rest rooms and bath facility. Good chance you can get into stripers (catch and release only). Lots of kayakers use this area. Within a mile of Carolina Beach and a few miles from Kure Beach. Wilmington is about 10 miles from camp ground.

Good luck.
Foursum

#24 ·
Good chance you can get into stripers (catch and release only)

I grew up in Pitt County and we had little and we looked forward to the right time of the year to get "rock fish" from the fish market for fish stews. I didn't know they were really stripers until I moved to Wilmington. Cooking a "good" rock fish stew is an art and I must say that I could cook one that "would make your tongue flap...". The secrets are med. size fish steaked, how you layer the ingredients in the cast iron pot, never, never stir, and how long you allow it to cook then simmer.

It seems I can still smell the aroma.

Foursum

#21 ·
If you are thinking about Neuseway park campground, be sure to call 1st to make sure the river isn't too high for camping. it is a very nice campground. The Ram Neuse museum will have their grand opening this coming weekend I think. Afterwards, it will be open Tuesday through Saturday. If you're interested in civil war history, the tourist center on hw 70 has some artifacts, and there is a full size Ram Neuse II on Heritage Street, just on the other side of the river from Neuseway park.

#26 ·
Then a lot has changed up there in the last few years.. They used to wander by and remind you to be cautious with what you allow others to see and just keep the noise down and enjoy yourself.

Reactions: dbeam and RouseD
#28 ·
Grifton has a campground that may interest you. Water level is super high in that area also, but may not reach the campground. Not sure who to tell you to call on that one, other than to look up the town of Grifton on the net. Never stayed there, but have ridden through there a couple of times. Grifton is on Contentnea Creek. Grifton isn't far from Kinston.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.