NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Scout 172 with a 90 Yam. Yesterday when I started the motor, the tachometer started smoking - just a little bit - and then quit working completely.

A little background - my ground connection on battery was somewhat shaky - several other electrical components were not working properly. I fixed this later, mostly, by cleaning up the negative terminal & connections (though some of my components still not working). So I wonder if that was part of the cause. Occasionally the tach would stick some and I would have to tap on it to make it work right, but otherwise no problem.

Of course my boat is now 130 miles away from me so I can't work on it until the weekend, but I'm wondering if I burned up some connections or a fuse or if I need to replace the whole tach. It looks like this tach (Faria) is around $65 online at about the cheapest. I don't mind buying one if necessary but don't want to be dumb(er) if it is just a 50 cent fuse issue.

Any advice about what to check? Or do tachs occasionally just go bad and need to be replaced? This is exposed to salt air etc.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I had one in my last boat that started reading very high and in accurate, it just palin went bad. Sometimes tach problems can be linked to a voltage regulator, stator or rectifier. If there was smoke coming from the tach, it is probably toast... you cant put the smoke back in the wires.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I ordered a new tach today. Will need to check the wiring too. Hopefully get the smoke to stay in

Reactions: 204Angler

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
wiring to ashes , metals to rust, what else on this freaking thing can bust?!... ( boat owners motto) Yep, if its electrical smoke is bad..

Reactions: 204Angler
1 - 6 of 6 Posts